Resurrection!

Jamxx

Fully Optimized
Hey guys.

I have an old laptop, with a Pentium MMX 266 MHz, 256 MB RAM (that was specially added :D), and a battery that doesn't work too well. The question is regarding the battery. And I have another question after that.

The battery of this computer has been charged many times, but the last year or so it has just been plugged in. It was just sitting there, doing nothing, so I decided to see what I could do with it. I unplugged it, as it had a 100% charge (obviously), and I booted it, and after a few seconds it just died. The battery now read 0%. So, I tried charging it overnight, and in the morning it was at 80%. Okay, so then I simply tried to boot it up, and it responded with loud beeping noises with the battery monitor flashing (there's a little LCD screen with status icons, such as power, battery charge percent, etc.). Then, it went to standby with this little screen that said something like Phoenix BIOS (that's what kind of BIOS I have, obviously) Save-to-Disk Application. When I tried to boot it, the Resume-Disk Application would pop up, with the loud beeping noises again, and then right after that was done it would Save-to-Disk again. When this little thing is plugged in, though, it runs perfectly. It can even play Age of Empires II (with some lag, though, but it is definitely playable)! Does anyone know something I can do (like techniques to get the battery back into good shape? It is a Ni-MH battery, so it doesn't have a memory charge... Though it could just be worn out. I don't think it is... But I could be wrong). Thanks!

One more question. It has a PS2 mouse port on it, and I have a PS2 to USB adapter for mice. Does this work as a fully functional USB adapter, or does it just work with mice?

Thanks as always! :D

-Jamxx

well the adapter works with anything thats PS2. the battery probably is a total lose because
1-its old
2-its not used to taking a charge so it isnt good for anything other than plugging into a wall
3-does it have any corrosion around the connectors?

Nope, no corrosion around the connectors. They are protected by a little thing that locks over them when it is pulled out, and there isn't any corrosion on the plugs in which are on the laptop itself.

A new battery costs about 100 bucks, and I'm definitely not going to spend that kind of money for a computer so old...

lol well do you need to carry it around. the battery is probably so old it wont hold a charge anymore. just keep it plugged in and you'll be fine

No, but it would be nice to be able to carry it to school sometimes. I could use it there. And plugging it in would be a problem, as there are really no outlets that are placed randomly... So I would like to get it to hold a charge. Can't you discharge a battery completely, then charged it all the way, and it would be back to normal. At least, that's what I did with my R/C car vehicles and it worked... I accidentally almost burnt up a pack, and then it didn't hold any charge. But I discharged it using a little setup with a lightbulb I created, then charged it fully with a trickle charge. This fixed it, and now it is as good as new. How would I go about doing this with this battery, or is it possible?

Thanks!

-Jamxx

no that battery is pretty much gone. Laptops especially one that old wear out fast. My 2001 laptop only holds a charge for 2 hours..

yea laptops are completely overrated, the commercials and such show people usniog them for everything, they forget to show the 3414626561234 hours in between using it that they had to charge them

Well, that's no good. Oh well, what can I expect. It still runs fine with it plugged in, so I'll use it that way. Maybe I'll ask for a new one for my birthday or something... And at least it will be lighter than this thing...

The only reason I thought it would be good for school is because it is built like a tank. Though it is heavy, it still has been dropped a few times with no harm coming to it. So, that's why I wanted to see if it could be resurrected.

Thanks as always, guys.

Back
Top Bottom