restore problems

Kage...

I copy and pasted the posters question to another forum I hang at. It was 50/50 as to he hit format and the removal of old compressed files.
It may have been the removal of old compressed files that lead to this problem. I'm leaning toward format or some other destructive command was activated. My reasoning is he stated his math homework was on the drive which indicates to me that was a current activity. It should not have deleted that in the remove old compressed files routine.

But so his loss is not a total loss let me use this as a warning.
As with any software you use, you have to be aware it has settings. These settings let you tell the program what you want it to do and how to go about it. Out of the box, so to speak, some settings are destructive and can lead to major headaches and lost data.
You put blind faith in a program and envaribly it will come around and bite you on the butt.

Now let me get my bullhorn and get up on my soapbox. "click" testing testing...
BACK UP, BACK UP, BACK UP THOSE HARD DRIVES. They are machines and will fail at the worst possible moment. Also user errors can lead to lost data. Protect yourself and your data. BACK UP your drives.

I am truely sorry about the poster's loss of his data. Heck of a way to spend your week end redoing something that was already completed.
I'm done.

Yeah, Setishock is right.

Many problems with PC's could be avoided if people backed up there hard drives. Even once a week.
Many programs make this easier for you. I don't know any off hand though.

System restore is also a handy program if you make regular backup's of settings before installing programs/modifying, though it wouldn't fix problems like that, but fixes most start up errors I've encountered.

Yeah Athlon64FX, but everythings destructive if your not careful with it. People just have to watch, thats all

Kage said:
Yeah Athlon64FX, but everythings destructive if your not careful with it. People just have to watch, thats all

My point in a nutshell.

But Athlon64fx I would really like to hear your reasoning on system restore being destructive.

Its helped me loads of times with boot up errors. Without it, I would have reformatted loads of times. But with it, I've not had to.

As long as you don't save viruses/spyware its a great program, and you can delete them anyway, and just make a new restore point.

Back
Top Bottom