restore problems

poormillionaire

Solid State Member
can some one help me? i am running two hard disks on our computer, one mainly for putting my games installers, music, drivers, pictures etc, you get the point. it was running low on space and without really checking i let disk cleanup do its thing. now my music is gone, all my backups are gone, zipped files, just about everything. I've tried using the system restore, but i can't get every thing back. Can some one please help!!!

yeah. even when you erase data its still there. it is just marked as avaliable space. go to download.com and get "DI uneraser" for free!

good luck

System restore...

System restore only works for system files. Like when you install a driver for a vid card. If the driver is not working good you can go back to a time before you installed it.

As for disk cleanup deleting your files off a secondary drive, it sounds to me that you may have activated another program by mistake. I'm not trying to be rude but it does happen from time to time even to the best of us. I just ran mine on my C:/E:/F: drives and there is nothing in the list of items it removes that is not just pure junk files on all 3 drives.

If you are 100% postive you were running disk cleanup when this happened I need to hear back from you. I have a pipeline into Microsoft and I think if this did happen as you say it did that they need to know.

yeah i'm pretty sure it was disk cleanup. the HDD that stuff got wiped from is only a 2.37GB, and so it's always asking if i want to delete stuff, usually i say yes, but it can't find anything so it's all good. this time it obviously found something, but it shouldn't delete music, or installation files. Even my maths assignment (due this monday) is gone!!

crap that has happened to me before and i took my hard drive to school they said it was broken and told me to do it again.

Whoa...

A 2.37gig drive? That is so old it most likely just crapped like steven11 said. You can get drives so cheaply these days that a good 80gig won't put a hugh dent in your wallet. Samsung has 80gig Spin Point series that run $69.00usd. Check www.microcenter.com

poormillionaire said:
can some one help me? i am running two hard disks on our computer, one mainly for putting my games installers, music, drivers, pictures etc, you get the point. it was running low on space and without really checking i let disk cleanup do its thing. now my music is gone, all my backups are gone, zipped files, just about everything. I've tried using the system restore, but i can't get every thing back. Can some one please help!!!
if yoou got the bucks, you can get a data retrival expert to restore it

your drive is made with layers, and once data is deleted its never permantly gone, nether does reformatting unless its a low level (cylenders, etc) reformat.

since data is stored in layers the tech can physically remove a layer/or use other methods from the HD and your data (might) (might) be there.

it costs about 2-3 grand. I think, thats a ballpark figure.

just a little info for ya, in case yoru wondering how to restore 'permantly deleted files'

I think I might know what has happened.

Windows automatically compresses items when they are not used, or you can set them too.
Basically all your music and things must have been compressed to save space automatically or something.

In Disk Cleanup there is an option to clean up 'Compress old files'. You might find this was them :(
I'm afraid you would have lost them, without trying programs to get them all back.

it's best to leave compress old files as you never know what they are, and the size they have (which is why i don't want to delete them) tends to be about a gig or something on mine.

If it was disk cleanup, thats what it would have been that did it

Sorry about that

Even though yiou'd expect because its a windows platform, these programs would work best...

Yeah, but I guess if your not careful with any program, they can mess you up. I've never had such problems with Windows software.

Though for example, i wouldn't trust the Winodws Firewall, or an antivirus if they brought one out... don't know why, i just wouldn't. Especially if it was set up on an update

Back
Top Bottom