Restarting problem

As I said before, it's not software related. I was reinstalling Windows and it restarted itself. Not in Windows at all, the XP disc was booted, and it was formatting the drive. Normally viruses don't do that if you are not in Windows correct? I also just reinstalled Windows on it and even after I did that it restarted. I thought it was a virus too, but it just doesn't seem possible for it to be a virus after I've already reinstalled Windows and it still does it.

I don't think you can use a 24pin PSU on a 20pin mobo w/o an adapter. I just tried it this morning and they wouldn't fit anyway around it. The PSU I tried already is in use in another PC, so I just used it to test it out. I'd still have to buy a new PSU if that is the prob.

I'll try PC Wizard. Last time I powered it up it seemed to work fine, so hopefully it won't do any more damage to power it up for a bit.

I know someone who had a similar problem, and there memory was kind of fried. It would work sometimes... But that ended up screwing up the mobo and he had to get that fixed... Perhaps check memory status? or try just sticking in completely different memory, and see if it still restarts?

I'll try and run a memory test and see if that comes up with anything. A guy prosed my bro to send him a 1GB stick or RAM, he sent it to the wrong address the first time and now hasn't tried sending it again...

I decided to risk it and keep it powered up for a long time. It never restarted itself. I moved around a lot of stuff internally, and maybe something was not quite connected right that was causing it... It may still happen, but my brother complained about it happening like when he was playing his games it would restart, then after it loaded Windows it would restart right away again... It hasn't happened like that for me.

Back
Top Bottom