Resizing a partition- need good software

joe pic

Fully Optimized
What's a good, FREE partitioning tool that I can use to easily resize my partition? I have XP on one with 173 GB and Vista with 50 ...I need to resize the Vista partition- make it bigger. Whats good, and FREE software to do it? I'm not going to try to use partition magic, I've had problems with that in the past.

You might be to do it from disk management. Have a look there before you go spending money on 3rd party software. And dont forget to backup anything important coz things can go wrong.:)

If you can't get it going from disk management as Raffaz suggested give Acronis Disk Ditector Suite a go. It's a great partitioning program. I think it offers a 15 or 30 day free trial. I used it to set my laptop up in various partitions... like this...

laptopmb6.jpg

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/diskdirector/

Edit: Just noticed this "Only partitions of the minimum size (1 cylinder ~ 7,8 MBytes) can be created (both in Windows and in rescue mode)"

So try and find a full version from somewhere.

Gparted is a great free partition program. It's easy to use, and can resize without damaging windows. If I'd find a link for you.

Yes, But is Gparted for Windows? I thought it only worked with Linux. I'll try and look for a link, I couldn't find the right one last night but if you can find one that would be great.

It's a bootable CD. I have used it on windows so I could dual boot vista RC1 a while a go. I'll PM you the link, or how I can get an image of the boot CD to you, when I get home from school.

not sure if partition magic offers a free trial or not ???

but the software is top nothch 9/10

Does disk management not work for you then?

I can't find it, I have Vista.

I dont know how to install Gparted, its so damn complicated. I need something simple and free that will work. Acronis doesn't work.

Back
Top Bottom