Requesting some input ...

Methost

In Runtime
Hello everyone. I'm gathing information for a new machine that I am building. I'm kind of new at this (this is my third build) and would like to know what some other people think. Everywhere I look people post different things about which configuration is better ... which CPUs are good etc etc ... it gets a little confusing ...

I am building a gaming machine. Im not going to overclock it, and I dont care about how many fps I can get in UT at max AF and AA. I play MMORPGs like everquest. I do want a good machine though. I dont want to break the bank.

So far I have my case, PSU and an Asus SLI delux motherboard. Originally I was going to buy a 6800GT 256 and add another later to round out the SLI. I was also going to buy the AMD64 4000+. Well, thats a boat load of cash.

My question is this ... if I skip the 256mb card and buy a pair of 128s right out of the gate ... will I notice a HUGE difference? Is a pair of 128s just as good as a single 256? Better?

And how about my CPU ... can I save money by getting something from 3500 to 3800? Will I notice the loss of 50% of the cache from the 4000+?

I am planning on getting 2gb of RAM from the start ... so that shouldnt be an issue. So knowing I dont want to pay to have a teir 1 machine and Im not going to over clock it ... what would you recomend I do to build a ... say tier 2 machine ??

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Being a AMD newbie I have no advice to give, but one item you don't really need that much is the 2 Gig of RAM. I have 1 Gig and if I start all my applications, multitasking etc. I still have plently of free RAM left.
For the other devices, a CPU with more cache is more efficient, but how many fractional seconds do you gain! and at what price?
I'm sure some AMD expert will be able to give you a solid advice on the difference between a 3500 and a 4000+ CPU

The video card issue is what I am really wondering about. I can pick up a pair of 6600GTs for $400 Roughly the same price as one 6800GT 256 (the 128mb 6800 isnt much cheaper)

Put another way ... I am spending $400 on GPU. Will I be better off with (2) 128's or (1) 256? =)

If I got 128'sm they will be 6600s ... of I go 256, it will be a 6800 and I can add another later.

You have your point there; buy the 256 now and add another one later. Later the price will have dropped and you will have two 256 on your mobo instead of two 128 which you may very well be stuck to sell because you would definitely look forward to getting 256's.

When worrying about AMD, cache doesnt play a big thing. Yes it will help but i believe the 4000 also just has a god core.

I STRONGLY SUGGEST WAITING FOR THE VENICE CORES WHICH COME OUT ON APRIL4TH.

hmm stay away from the asus mobo. they freeze/lockup/stutter. there not very good. they run in SLI at only 8x when both should be going at 16x. that is why pci-ex is so much better isnt it? they sometimes come up with stupid error when u have in two cards.

i say get the NEO 4 Platinum motherboard. is comes with a integrated Sound Blaster Live! 7.1 chip which means no buying sound cards for you. thats no AC'97 btw its an actual chip. it also runs both GPU's at 16x. overall it murders the ASUS boards.

jack22 said:
When worrying about AMD, cache doesnt play a big thing. Yes it will help but i believe the 4000 also just has a god core.

I STRONGLY SUGGEST WAITING FOR THE VENICE CORES WHICH COME OUT ON APRIL4TH.
Well it will be after april 4th by the time I buy my CPU. But I dont know if I can spend the money on brand new technology. This is the first time I have heard of this core. Can you give me any details about it?

money_man said:
hmm stay away from the asus mobo. they freeze/lockup/stutter. there not very good. they run in SLI at only 8x when both should be going at 16x. that is why pci-ex is so much better isnt it? they sometimes come up with stupid error when u have in two cards.

i say get the NEO 4 Platinum motherboard. is comes with a integrated Sound Blaster Live! 7.1 chip which means no buying sound cards for you. thats no AC'97 btw its an actual chip. it also runs both GPU's at 16x. overall it murders the ASUS boards.

I already have the Asus MB. And for everyone who says they arnt any good, I hear from 5 people who say stick to Asus ... lol ... so who the hell knows right?

Another question comes to mind. Nvidia has a list of games that support SLI technology. Does this mean if I am playing a game that isnt supported or that doesnt have support for SLI that I only run on one of my graphics cards? Anyone know?

Methost, you act wisely, you didn't take for cash that the ASUS motherboard was trash. Actually ASUS motherboard are the most reliable, but if someone got a lemon, then all the products are lemons, bsst! ASUS with their OC utility, easy BIOS upgrade utility makes it a great card. Comments!

Back
Top Bottom