Replacing an old mobo.

Tdevil333

Solid State Member
My mobo is old and outdated. I just need to know some things. What do i need to know about the new mobo that I'm replacing it with...like how to figure out what is compatible with my computer.

Hi,What kind of CPU and RAM do you have? Do you have any expansion card on you old motherboard (PCI and AGP)? And how old is your old motherboard?

You might have some trouble with swapping out the motherboard in that dell.To tell you the truth,it might be easier,sometimes cheaper,to build a new computer.The hardware in the computer is too old,they dont make socket 478 motherboards anymore.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4550/techov.htm#1101565

Here are some diagrams.Im pretty sure the PSU in that dell is missing 2 standard pins,so you would probably have to buy a new PSU,but the PSU's in a dell arent the standard size.Also the front headers arent standard,they are dell's own design.

I'd build a new computer.

You might have some trouble with swapping out the motherboard in that dell.To tell you the truth,it might be easier,sometimes cheaper,to build a new computer.The hardware in the computer is too old,they dont make socket 478 motherboards anymore.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4550/techov.htm#1101565

Here are some diagrams.Im pretty sure the PSU in that dell is missing 2 standard pins,so you would probably have to buy a new PSU,but the PSU's in a dell arent the standard size.Also the front headers arent standard,they are dell's own design.

I'd build a new computer.

Thanks man, I probably will build a new one. I've never built one before...so any tips on where to start?

figure out what you do on it and how fast you want it. and what you will spend. i just built(not bought yet) a computer for 550 dollors at my doorstep.

figure out what you do on it and how fast you want it. and what you will spend. i just built(not bought yet) a computer for 550 dollors at my doorstep.

I want to play games on it. And I'm willing to spend up to $800.

ok $800 not a bad budget, does that have to include, monitor ? keyboard ? mouse ? OS ? or jus the base ?

once answered ill put a rough build together for ya

Back
Top Bottom