Replacing New MB - need to copy over HDs

ep2002 said:
A PIII works differently than a PIV & it's too large a leap for the OS to handle.

50% of the time you can switch HDs to a new MB & they will work & 50% they won't & there is a number of factors that will affect the outcome.

In this case, this PIII MB is an obscure piece of hardware that one can not even locate the manufacturer online anymore.

It has nothing to do w/ the HD, but with Windows. It's the security system in Windows that's not allowing us to use the old HD on the new MB as it is. However, once we've DLed Win onto a clean HD or partition, we will be able to access the information on the old HD.

While I am aware there were several avenues we could have taken, we chose this one b/c the system needed to be updated anyway & the old system will be left as a backup in case of emergency.

I hope this explains it now.

This was Dave talking, (my partner) & of course I'm sitting here like a secretary typing everything out.

Hey, no patting my head Dave.

Thanks

Michelle :p
NO
Whos teaching who here,every reply you get you discard,so what is the
"Bottom Line question" or concern ? Your problems have all been solved here.
Who told you this fairytail ?
A PIII works differently than a PIV & it's too large a leap for the OS to handle.
NO it isn't,i did it,changed hd's done.
Thats says it all,right ?

Hey Mr. Ego,

Is your life all about putting people down?

I guess it is. NOW GET LOST.

If you don't have anything kind to say then don't say it & try not to speak for others.

If they have a problem, they have their own brain & their own mouth.

I am now reporting you to the moderator.

Michelle

bluto said:
NO
Whos teaching who here,every reply you get you discard,so what is the
"Bottom Line question" or concern ? Your problems have all been solved here.
Who told you this fairytail ?
NO it isn't,i did it,changed hd's done.
Thats says it all,right ?

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

so its entirely a windows problem and nothing to do with hardware.

that makes it far far far clearer

heh, cant help ya there. :p

0x54 said:

No it really doesn't,no not hardware,p4 or mbd,
just studying."How to do it"
:D
just asking advice and not useing it
or not asking advice and not solveing it.
So flick your bick.Have another weed.lol
Get it yet ?
:confused:

Hi there everyone,

I wish to thank everyone for all of their help in giving us information on accomplishing this large task. We have also asked people offline as well getting all different pieces of advice.

I think we have pretty much figured out what to do & will go forth in trying to transfer the info & programs one at a time.

If we hit a glitch or you want to know how it panned out, just let me know. If I missed giving you any information that was relevant, I apologize in advance.

I've been very busy & some times things get lost in the shuffle.

Have a great night & be well.

Michelle

LOL, got to love Windows. NOT

Like we found out, you have a 50/50 chance of it working & it didn't work for us when we tried it.

We needed to upgrade anyway, so we expanded a bit.

My MB wasn't the greatest to begin with b/c it was all I could afford at the time.

Have a great night/day depending on where you are.

0x54 said:

ep2002 said:
Help !

My integrated board's video card must have gone (no comments pls., I didn't have enough money at the time), so we have to replace the WHOLE MB.

The problem is, Win 2000 doesn't allow you to just copy on top of itself.

So we have to reformat.

I have 4 drives on my puter right now & someone is suggesting I reformat H & then make it C & then move everything over.

How does this sound to you all & I need to know how move everything over from one drive to a next easily without screwing up any data.

Some of the programs I can reinstall, others I can't.

Thanks so much for any help you can give me

I hope you are having a good Sunday !

Michelle :rolleyes:

The above really didn't make much sense.

You have got a lot to lean "the hard way"
You had the easy way here and said goodbye,so
Goodby i guess,
:(
Just remember that "formating" is only a quick fix,Like Tylenol.
This headache will be back.

Im still quite sure that you'd be fine to swap the disks and then use the repair function on the windows install CD.

As I said this worked for me last week, the only thing was I was going from a PIV to a PIII and you are going the other way

ep2002 said:
LOL, got to love Windows. NOT

Like we found out, you have a 50/50 chance of it working & it didn't work for us when we tried it.

We needed to upgrade anyway, so we expanded a bit.

My MB wasn't the greatest to begin with b/c it was all I could afford at the time.

Have a great night/day depending on where you are.

Not really; the chances of it working are 1/1. Its always worked for me, its always worked for everybody I know; etc etc and so on. I have used XP on a PIII - it worked fine and XP is newer than 2000. Hence 2000 will install on a PIII and a PIV machine.

Installing on a new Hard Drive; Windows 2000 or whatever you want will go on there and will run. Then you can transfer your files. However, as Bluto said - nothing here is going to be a quick fix while keeping your data.

Lord Kalthorn said:
Not really; the chances of it working are 1/1. Its always worked for me, its always worked for everybody I know; etc etc and so on. I have used XP on a PIII - it worked fine and XP is newer than 2000. Hence 2000 will install on a PIII and a PIV machine.

Installing on a new Hard Drive; Windows 2000 or whatever you want will go on there and will run. Then you can transfer your files. However, as Bluto said - nothing here is going to be a quick fix while keeping your data.
Then i must add this,I bought a new complete system,and a new 40 gb hard drive.I then installed Windows on the new 40 gb.
Then i bought a removeable hd case,put in my past 20 gb and copied the data i wanted to the new 40 gb.
Then i formated the 20 gb and put all my music on it.
:D

Back
Top Bottom