replacing fan for palit gts 450... any ideas?

ebbenson3

Solid State Member
I have been using my new video card for a little over 3 weeks now, and I have no complaints other than the fact that the fans on this thing are so noisy! I've read where other people have been complaining about this issue but have not been so successful in finding options of a fan replacement or compatibility with other after market gpu coolers. So are any of the Zalman coolers compatable with my specific card? It seems like the average temp of the card when I'm doing anything crazy is ~75+ so if I can kill two birds with one stone i'd like to have a quiter card and have it run cooler.

Here is my specific card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118125

Thanks for the help!

That link takes me to a fan, not a video card. Is your video card a Nvidia one? Most cards come with software that allows you to adjust things. I know both my former Nvidia card and now my ATI card allow me to adjust the fan settings, but be carful. I doubt you need to buy a totally new one, the fan is so loud because it needs to run at a high enough speed to efficently cool your card, if it doesnt cool it properly the card could become damaged.

Oops, sorry about that. Here is a better link: Newegg.com - Palit NE5S4500F0601 GeForce GTS 450 (Fermi) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Low Profile Ready Video Card

I've been told that the temperature that my card runs at is pretty normal and that it can take higher temps. If it did get to hot it would just shut off. I'd prefer to get some sort of aftermarket cooler just because the stock fan on the card is really loud. My only concern is that it isn't as wide as most graphics cards, there may be comparability issues. I've been looking on newegg, but I can't find anything specific for my card and for the most part the other coolers compatibility list is pretty vague when it comes trying to find one that meets my requirements.

The goal is to get an aftermarket cooler that is more efficient in cooling and at the same time is quieter.

Do you have the size of the fans you want to replace it with? Can you find the video cards fan size? It should be ok as long as the fan size is the same. I don't know much about fans, but I know that if the size is the same then it should be fine (unless you are purchasing a fan for the CPU). It wouldn't hurt to know the hight of the fan itself.

You won't be able to (almost certainly) for 2 reasons:

1. It isn't like a standard fan. It has a different connector to your video card PCB, it will be connected differently, and the radius will potentially be specific to the card. If you can find an old card with a similar sized fan with the same mounting system and the same header (unlikely) it may work, but then it would either have the same noise levels, or worse performance.

2. It is low profile, so you won't be able to get an after market heatsink.

Your best bet is to take off the shroud from the graphics card, buy a decent 80mm fan or two, buy some cable ties and ghetto mod it onto the heatsink with the cable ties. The only downside to that is not all, or even most, of the air will be exhausted, so you will need fairly good ventalation inside your case to get rid of that hot air.

Newegg.com - SILVERSTONE SCOOL81 80mm Case Fan

Newegg.com - Scythe S-FLEX SFF80C 80mm Case Fan

Newegg.com - GELID Solutions FN-PX08-20 80mm Case Fan with Intelligent PWM control

any of those would do, but I personally would go with a Scythe fan or two. They will plug into your motherboard if you have a free fan header, so then you can use a program like Speedfan to change the fan speed to make it as quiet as possible whilst keeping the temps as low as possible

Back
Top Bottom