Replacement Power Supply

CodyAT85

Beta member
Background: 5 or so years ago I had an ex-coworker build me a custom computer. I no longer have any means of keeping in contact with him and I don't have the specs for my computer.

I'm very electronically and computer inclined, until it comes to building them, as I have never dealt with it before.

I haven't used my desktop in at least a year, until I went to plug it all in today to retrieve information from it and it would not turn on. I tried troubleshooting (replace power cord, different outlet, blowing dust from fans, etc...) and nothing. So, my first step would be to replace the power supply, right? I pulled it from the computer but I need to know:

1) It's a 600w PS, so do I HAVE to replace with such or can I go lower, say 400w (My processor is anywhere from 1-2ghz)? There is no brand name anywhere on the PS so that's another issue, or is it?

I appreciate any and all help, I can post pictures if need be, just let me know.

Thanks!

Absolutely nothing. I could hear a clicking noise coming from the power supply when I pressed the power button but that was it.

Well, what I do know is that it's an AMD. On the processor itself there's nothing more than some random number/letters, nothing to identify it's type. Any ideas?

---------- Post added at 01:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:14 PM ----------

I guess those numbers (albeit random to me) may mean something to the knowledgable, so, here they are:

FOXCONN(N) 1A014UVOO
2008/05/31/12

?

Another update: got the processor from the fan. Here's what it reads:

AMD Athlon 64
ADA3500DAA4BW
1413218B60279

Apparently... AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 2.2GHz 512KB Socket 939 CPU.

So, would a 400w PSU be adequate?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom