Renaming a partition

mayorredbeard

Daemon Poster
A while ago when i reformatted my harddrive for some reason the partition installed windows was called F:

I guess during installation i must've overlooked this, and now it's becoming annoying. I have certain programs i want to install that have a pre-set unchangable installation directory, which just so happens to be c:poop/poopy/pooppoop . Obviously this is a problem since i dont have a c: drive, and havign my main drive named f: is just generally annoying, i mean, f is such a bad letter...

anyways does nayone know a way to renanme a partition?

apparently partition magic lets you do this, but it says if you complete this action your system may not be able to boot.

the word that worries me is 'may'. does anyone know if this is a disclaimer to protect them in case of a rare accident in which it inhibits the system from booting up, or if i do this will i really not be able to boot windows.

You might want to check the BIOS and see if there is something set in there to set your main drive to F:.

Usually, you can do this in Disk Management. It won't work with this being the only drive, because the drive is in use. Did you create several partitions? Or have more than one hard drive, 2 CD-R/ROMs, or tape drives? It's unusual for Windows to name the main partition F, unless it's changed during setup. I would try the Partition Magic option, because you will have to reload if it doesn't work anyway, just make sure you backup your data first. Also, if you do use Partition Magic, let us know if it works without issues.

Back
Top Bottom