Reloading OS on recently formatted HDD

RVFmal

Baseband Member
I have recently been asked to load an OS on a friends computer due to the fact that she accidentally formatted her HDD.

However I cannot get the CD drive to work to run the OS disk.

I tried to reboot the PC with the Win 98 boot disk including CDRom drivers (as this is the OS she had on the PC initially), but it doesn't work. Coincidentally the OS was copied to disk for her so it does not start on insertion into the CDRom as most OS disks do.

I cannot load XP as the PC is fairly old with only a 1Gig and 500meg HDD.

How do I reboot the PC to load the OS?

OK, being that old, the computer probably doesn't support booting off CDs. I think in add remove programs(if you have a computer with 98 on it) there's an option to make a startup disk. I beleive there might be an option on the CD itself as well, but I'm not very sure about that one either...

also alot of times when OS cd's are copied they dont boot from cd rom, i have no clue why. i have a copied windows xp pro cd it works fine if inserted while windows is running but wont boot.

have you changed the boot sequence in the bios to boot from cd?

if that doesnt work you'll have to get you hands on a legit cd.

He he he, it obviousley isn't that old as it can boot off CD (I tried an original copy of XP Pro and it started up fine - HDD's are too small for it though).

I tried creating a boot disk from 98, but even that did not work.

Have had a similar experience, the copied disk works fine when inserted with Windows already open, but does not auto launch when just inserted. I did change the boot sequence.

Have actually ended up advising that it would be better to rather buy a cheapish new computer and upgrade as need be.

System Requirments for Windows XP:

Intel Pentium or AMD Processor 300 Mhz is the maximum 64 mb of ram maximum, I recommend 1 gig of ram to run Windows XP and at least 20 gigs to install Windows XP maximum is i think is 10 gigs not sure and Microsoft does not recommend installing Windows XP on older-Computers or less if they follow have all the requirments to run Windows XP.

Back
Top Bottom