reinstall windows on a seperate partition

welshy

Baseband Member
hi, i may need to reinstall windows, and was wondering weather or not it would be a (reasonably) good idea to install it on a seprate partition (that already exists) so that i dont have to faff around with losing everything, but thinking about it, I may have tried this in the past, but the new installation of windows didn;t pick up all of the programs already installed on th original partition, so in essence, what i'm asking is, weather it's worth doing this - and how u'd get the fresh installation of windows to pick up all the programs already installed) (and maybe manually deleteing the other installation of windows, or weather i should just back everything up ont new partition, and formnat the original, and then reinstall all the apps once more :(

thanks for any help
welshy0204

If you do a fresh install, then you will need to reinstall all the apps aswell, doesnt matter if its on a fresh partition or not. I would backup all your documents etc with the FAST wizard. Once you have got your clean install up and running exactly the way you like it, then think about creating an image of your system with norton ghost or acronis true image. Then if you ever whant to do another clean install, you can just run the image disc.

cheersraffaz, but will copying the 'start menu' files not even work? cos i really dont have to reinstall al t'apps if possible

cheers
welshy

Na it wont work, there are 2 many other variables like registry settings etc

Back
Top Bottom