Registry Editor questions and registry stuff...

winterfreshpwnz

Fully Optimized
I downloaded this program called errorguard cuz my whole comp is just really messed up and the program says it will stop crashing, instability and like just all this stuff so I figured I would try it. I did a scan and it came up with like 290 errors, all seeming to come from the registry, but unfortunately, it will only repair the errors if you buy it for 30 bucks, which of course I'm not about to do. Now the question here is if I can do it myself. At the end of the scan it tells you the location of all of the errors and stuff, like every little folder you need to go into. What I need to know is if deleting a registry file (like one of the ones they said needed repairing) would mess up my comp even worse. Like is deleting the error (registry file) different then what they call "repairing", or are they bsically deleting the file themselves, just calling it something different? If that's all it's doing I can just do it myself, so anyone who knows please help me out. Thanks.

well, u see, if i were, i would just back up all my important files and all that and just reformat. its free and easy enough to do. but, as for the regedit stuff, im not sure. editing ur regedit can screw ur comp up if not correctly and im no IT. i dont want to give u wrong info that could screw up ur comp even more. 0o, just reformat i guess. cause if u have 290 errors, thats a lot and repairing all those would take a freakin long time. yeha.

Not to sound like a complete newb, but I've never reformatted, so I don't fully understand the whole thing. I know that when it's done you need to reinstall windows, but like, do you need to back up the system as well, and if so then what's the point of reformatting if you're gonna have the same files and stuff that was messing the comp up in the first place?

nonono..... reformatting COMPLETELY erases the hard drive. nothing is left. but yes, when u reformat u have to reinestall windows and all that. but just back up ur drive (try and keep it clean) and then reformat and start all over.

Huh? What's the difference between reformatting and reformatting completely, I mean I thought there was only one type of reformatting.

sorry, shouldve made myself clear. there's only one reofrmatting. no difference.

OK, but then I still don't understand the point of reformatting, like what it's actually doing or fixing or trying to fix. I mean, I don't get the point of reformatting if I'm just gonna be putting the same stuff back on it that was probably messing up my comp in the beginning.

nonono, it doesnt come back. everything is completely erased. gone. forever. even the os, which u have to install. so yueah, reformatting works.

What jac006 wants to say is that reformatting will completely delete all info on your hard disk, even the registry; so no more errors they will be gone. Doing a fresh installation will set up your computer with a new registry.
Personally I would try one more thing before reformatting cause it can be a long process reinstalling back the programs (especially if you have many).
I would go and get a small program called jv16 http://zdnet.search.com/search?q=jv16 whcih will help you get rid of nearly all unnecessary keys.
I downloaded and tried this program when it was free but now I believe it is a trailware. But still it is a very good tool.
Eq. Norton Utilities may find X number or registry errors and fix them. Then you use jv16 and it finds quite an impressive number of unwanted keys. It is also very easy to use.

OK I said I understand that it erases your hdd, but like I said, that doesn't seem to make sense as to why it woulod work, when you're making a backup of harmful files and pting them right back on. If you're putting those same files on, then how is it starting over? That's all I really wanna know.

Back
Top Bottom