Refurbished / open-box external hard drives reliability

soacst

Solid State Member
I need ASAP an external hard drive (1-2TB) to back-up my data.
(I only have 80GB but I am planning to buy a new computer in a few months).

I consider Western Digital (WD) and Lacie. These disks are very expensive.
I can get a "recertified" WD in an exteremly low price, with 90 days manuf. warranty, instead of the regular 3 years on a new disk.

How reliable are reconditioned hard drives - to what extent they are likely fail more then new drives? How about open box? I would not want to compromise my data!!!

Please advise ASAP - my precious data isn't backed-up, which is a no-no!
Thanks a lot

I Wouldnt trust them to be honest because you have no real idea of how they have been treated,how they have been handled by the previous user.

Yeah, I wouldn't trust my data on a refurbished hard drive - especially with the warranty shortened like that.

If you currently only have 80GB of total disk space right now, why not just go for a new hard drive that is around 500GB and new instead of 1-2 terabytes? IMO, you are better off getting less capacity + new drive, rather than more capacity + refurb, considering that you don't have alot of data.

Refurbished items were refurbished for a reason.

I don't even trust new ones. Manufacturers could throw in any ol' drive.

I buy the external enclosure and harddrive separately and put them together.

I have a refurb WD 320Gb internal as a replacement for my brand new WD 320GB that died within a month. It has been running good for several months now. I didn't ask for a refurb as a replacement, but I have had no issues with it this far.

I wouldn't recommend anything other than a new hard drive.. The small price difference is not worth it.

If you currently only have 80GB of total disk space right now, why not just go for a new hard drive that is around 500GB and new instead of 1-2 terabytes? IMO, you are better off getting less capacity + new drive, rather than more capacity + refurb, considering that you don't have alot of data.

Refurbished items were refurbished for a reason.

I see what your saying, but that's like saying "that car was fixed for a reason" - Just because it was fixed doesn't mean you wouldn't sell it!

I suppose it's a bit different when Data is concerned, but if it truely has been refurbished, then I think it should be OK.

Open box is a different matter.

Thank you all for your input. I appreciate it! Cavemangrinder: I should have written "I am planning to buy a new computer in a few months" with 1-2TB. It is easier, cheaper and much more menagable to buy now a disk which will be sufficient, then.

Talking about HD quality, which one is more reliable: WD Home addition (FAT32 for needed Mac compatibility in the near future & conetivity: FW400, eSATA, USB2), or Lacie D2 Quadra (Has FW800 as well)?

Please respond ASAP. Thanks a million.
Getting responses covering the whole range of possibilities, I think that all of you are right. "Refurbished" is a pretty abstract term, it's quality depends upon factors unknown to us. It brought me to the conclusion that buying a hard drive, refurbished, used, new, (open box could be anyone of the above, right? unless it's in a store), is a crap shoot!

Thanks to you I thought about my own experience. I have a 5 yr old Dell computer. The (*) new hard drive fail after a short time, the technician could not fix it. Being under warranty, Dell sent me another one – refurbished. It's still working fine today, and going!,
I am just praying that it won't crash before I back it up on my new disk.
((*) actually, they can put a refurbished disk in a newly purchased system).

I have a very old Sony computer: Window 95! I am using it for some purposes. I got it, used, from a friend. It never had any problem, though some say that HD's average lifespan is 4 years. I'm not a statistical sample so I can only learn from your experience and mine. The more input the better (even if your answer i s already represented - sort of a poll).

QUESTION: Do you have a reference / link to a good (external) HD reviews (like consumer report).

The bottom line is: the question is not IF one's HD will fail, but WHEN. A. Warranty is important 1) In case of a problem. 2) It indicates to what extent the manufacturer trusts / believes in the product and ready to take a risk. B. There is no warranty or price for precious data lost!!!

Solution: 1) Buy a disk (or anything) that have a good reputation (hence the forum), and good statistical reviews of a unit that is less likely to be problematic (do you know any?).
2) Have TWO BACKUPS!

So, I can buy either (a) 2 x 1TB refurbished, for 2 x $75 (inclusive),
or (b) one 2TB new, for $280. In this case (c) it might be a good idea to buy a 2nd disk - then's OK to get a 1TB refurbished + a new 2BT.
(If (c) I'll report to you whether (a) will outlive (b)!)
I intend to buy, in the near future, a new computer with 1-2TB

What is the best solution: (a), (b) & mirroring, or (c)?

(**)Is MIRRORING on one disk (needed in case (b)) SAFE AND SIMPLE?

Thanks a million!

Back
Top Bottom