Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 07-24-2008, 02:13 PM   #1
Baseband Member

Default Reformatting with XP HELP PLEASE!

So basically I have a virus that has deleted many programs, caused endless trouble that will not leave, and i've been planning a reformat for a while so im going to do it. BUT, the thing is I have almost no clue how to.

Can someone give me a step by step guide or a set of guidelines to go by, and a list of what I will need. I have a cracked copy of Windows XP that I recieved from a computer shop, no recovery disks. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Stampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 02:51 PM   #2
Fully Optimized

Default Re: Reformatting with XP HELP PLEASE!

Well, before you format and reinstall. Have you scanned you hard drive with some anti-virus and anti-spyware software? AVG and Spybot are good ones that are free.

Heres a link that has easy steps to reformat: http://www.ehow.com/how_6026_format-hard-drive.html

cavemangrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 02:55 PM   #3
Baseband Member

Yes i've used both of those + more and nothing happened. Before all of this it has gotten slow and I have so many things I just want to reformat to a fresh start regardless of the viruses. Anyone able to help?
Stampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 03:25 PM   #4
Guru

Yeah. Ok. First you will pop in the installation CD for WinXP. Then it will load your drivers. After that a blue screen asking you to select the partition should pop up. If you want, you can delete all partitions here. Then you can divide up the unallocated space in 2 parts. One for the OS + Programs, the others for files. I only recommend doing this if you're HDD is bigger than 40GB. I usually keep 40GB for OS + Programs and the rest for files. After you have divided it up, you need to format it. Format both as NTFS, and do the long format. After this you pick the partition of 40GB and install Windows. Then boom, you're done.
JogaBonito1502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 04:44 PM   #5
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampy View Post
I have a cracked copy of Windows XP that I recieved from a computer shop, no recovery disks. Help would be greatly appreciated.
Buy XP would be the place to start, unless you want to d/load and crack XP you're going nowhere fast
E8600@ 4.25GHz, 1.325V | Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme + Scythe Slipstream 120 | Asus Rampage Extreme| 4GB Corsair 2000MHz 8-8-8-24 @ 1600 6-7-6-24| ASUS 9800GTX| Pioneer 18X SATA DVD-RW | 320GB + 500GB WD SATAII | Antec True Power Trio 650W | Thermaltake Sonata | Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 Ultimate
A True Folder is offline   Reply With Quote