reformatting problem

nick_w

In Runtime
hi when ever i reformat my comp i notice that all my programs in the program file folder are still there also i have a 80gig HD and half of it is still full after i reformat it how can i take this problem away and just have a fresh version of xp pro

Just boot up the computer with the windows CD in the tray, choose the restore option from the menu..it will reformat the hhd for you..when it asks you to delete the old version of windows say yes..it will create a new partition and load afresh new copy of windows.

Are you just sticking the XP disk in and installing a fresh copy on top of the existing copy? If you are then Windows preserves your files for you.

To wipe everything and have a fresh copy reboot with the CD in and choose to boot from the CD when the prompt appears. Then just follow the instructions.

That's the best thing to do all the time. If you are reformatting, you'd want to have everything gone and a clean slate, because you must have a good reason, and just a new install or a refresh from the CD will not clean whatever you want to remove.

I have tryed to reformat the comp again but this is what it says:

The following list shows the exisiting partions and unpartioned space on this computer.

Use UP and DWN arrow keys to select an item in the list.

*To set up windows xp on the selected item , press enter

*To create a partion in he unpartioned space press C

* To delete the selected partion press D

then it has this under it

Set up is unable to preform the requested operation on the selected partion. Ths partion contains temporary set up files that are required to complete the instalation

* To continute press enter

i just what the comp back to the way it was and get rid of all the unknown files i still have on my comp that are taking up space and i havnt reformated my comp in ages so i what to staret from scratch again.

thanks for all the help

yes yes, i know waht you mean. basically what it is saying is.. that it has temp files to run those windows installing stuff on ur computer to reinstall windows.

this is what you do. DO NOT , i repeat DO NOT run the windows cd in while ur running windows. (if you follow through by installing starting while running windows.. it preinstalls stupid files so you get that problem ur facing now)

all you have to do is.. just pop the cd in, restart ur computer, (without running the setup.exe) and go straight into the cd.

that way, ur computer wont be dumb and say blah blah blah temp files on comp.

gl and happy gaming.

acekrn said:
i'm curious.. does it work? LOL i was just rambling earlier on..
lol not sure i thought it would of coz i was reformating wen windows was opened and booting from D: tryin now

Back
Top Bottom