Reformatting

Rubber314Chicken

Golden Master
I'm reformatting... The question is... should I partition my C: drive to have two drives so I don't have to spend so much time doing backups every time I reformat?

So basically I have one hard drive full of stuff that I want to keep (like movies, music) and the rest full of the programs and the OS?

Is this a logical time saving idea?

Or should I not bother doing this?

i think almost everybody that knows how to do it will do.

I use to have it set up like that, but now i have 2 HDDs for my desktop. But i do do this for my laptop.

Its very convenient and saves a lot of time if you reinstall OS's a lot.

If you have a large drive, it's a good idea to partition it so you have a "storage" part. It's nice to do so you have a place to keep your files, pics, music, downloads, or whatever in case you need to reformat/install the OS.

okay, will do. I'm in the process of backing up 150 Gb of music movies and other media, and its taking forever.

I zero fill and reinstall windows all the time (every 6 months or so). Its my version of anti virus software ;o). Partitions are your friend. Just make sure when reformatting or zero filling to select the right partition!

I zero fill and reinstall windows all the time (every 6 months or so). Its my version of anti virus software ;o). Partitions are your friend. Just make sure when reformatting or zero filling to select the right partition!

zero fill? I haven't heard that term in a good number of years with the old dos tools. Most security tools since simply repeatedly write binary zeros to the drive in no time not hour after hour of waiting.

With the multibooting and extra storage space needed for working with video here drive space is a commodity. The Vista drive sees a second partition there. The second on the XP drive... oops! now sees 7 beta. Gee? I guess I needed a new drive for storage besides the external one that was getting filled too fast. :eek:

Back
Top Bottom