reformatting

couldnt u just right click on it in my computer and choose format since it was the slave drive? thats what i did on my sis's comp...

If you want to reformat the slave just pop in your windows xp home disc and maake sure you cd rom is the 1st boot and reboot your pc and it should boot up and when you go to format your pc you should get the option weather you want to preform a quick format or a compleate format and make sure you just format the slave.

gaming_freak said:
couldnt u just right click on it in my computer and choose format since it was the slave drive? thats what i did on my sis's comp...
Well, we never really were told if it was the master or slave, until a fair way down the track. Had it been made clear it was a slave drive from the beginning your method would have been the quickest provided no partitioning was required, if partitioning was required Disk Management would have been the way to go.
IronMaiden6669 said:
If you want to reformat the slave just pop in your windows xp home disc and maake sure you cd rom is the 1st boot and reboot your pc and it should boot up and when you go to format your pc you should get the option weather you want to preform a quick format or a compleate format and make sure you just format the slave.
The problem I have with this method for formatting a slave drive, for a novice, it can be easy to format the C: drive in error (Hell, I've done it myself once :) two identical sized partitions, I selected the wrong one :D ) where, if you use Disk Management, you can see the drives/partitions on screen negating the possibility of that error by simple visual depiction.

A few basic guides I use when troubleshooting pc problems for people in forums are as follows:
1. Get as much system/hardware info you can
2. Never assume a person has pc knowledge to match yours (easier to assume they have little to no knowledge)
3. Always describe steps to rectify a problem in the most basic way for easy understanding
4. Describe any pitfalls that may be encountered (not all people will recognise potential errors a readily as someone with reasonable pc knowledge)

well as a last note thx alot guys i now have 12 gig)oh ya its sweet :p of extra room in a hard drive i wish i could have 3:(

Back
Top Bottom