reformatting

eunice1

In Runtime
hi guys... i want to reformat my pc, but i don't know how to, so i need a step-by-step procedure in reformatting the hard disk.. i need the exact words that i should type in each and every line.. my OS is win98.

P.S.

do i still have to do that "fdisk" thing when reformatting?

thanks for the time and patience for reading this...

OK, if your gonna do this just to install a fresh copy of Win98 do a quick format.

Right, if you are happy with the way the partitions are setup already, there is no need to repartition the hard drive.

Right, make a floppy boot disk or use the Windows 98 CD and boot into DOS from either one of them. (if your PC can't boot from CD, use the Floppy boot disk, create one in add/remove programs in the control panel under the tab "Startup disk". If your using the Windows 98 CD, skip the 1st step.

Restart with the Boot disk of choice

If you are booting from floppy, select "Start Computer with CD-ROM Support" and wait till you get to the a: command prompt. It may take a while to finish booting. Miss out step 2

Booting from the CD, Select "Start Computer with CD-ROM support" or similar menu choice. Don't select Install Windows 98. Wait till you are at the command prompt.

Do a quick format of the c: drive (You don't need to do a low-level format, a bit pointless) to this type -

format c: /q

Note: If you are booting from the CD you may not find the format command, therefore you will need to run it from the Win98 folder on the CD. To do this type:

cd [CD-ROM Drive Letter]
cd Win98
format c: /q

Then press enter. This should take a few seconds and asks you wether you would like to give it a label or not, it's up to you. Once finished, you should be returned back to the command prompt.

Right, now it's time to start the Windows installation. Make sure that you have the Windows 98 CD in the CD-ROM drive if you have booted from floppy. Type -

setup

then press enter. A quick scandisk should run then the installation files copied accross. After a we minute, a Setup Wizard should start, then just follow on from there.

ok connchri.. thanks for that quick reply.. i really appreciate it.. ill just let u know if a problem arise... ;)

Back
Top Bottom