Reformatted Computer

Bob Gunnis

Beta member
hi

I have just reformatted my PC and am using WindowsXP Home. When i went to log on it went to the log on screen where I clicked on my user name. I logged on and went to 'Users' and noticed another account which I deleted and cannot remembe what the oher account was called.

this has never happened before and am curious why this other account was installed.

Any advice please

I think there is the adminstrator & guest accounts. Those are the ones windows installs automatically.

Windows has hundreds of hidden accounts, in which you cannot access from the XP logon screen, but can via classic logon. These include admins, domain names, power users, guests, there's actually quite a few!

Most you can't delete, but can remove from log on screens, so don't worry! Dependant on whether the disc was OEM or not, some install the guest account, and prompt it to be shown on the log on screen.

I may be wrong here, but I doubt domain names and power users are available on XP Home edition ... especially since Home Edition cannot be joined to domains. The original poster stated he was working with XP Home Edition.

CrossCech said:
I may be wrong here, but I doubt domain names and power users are available on XP Home edition ... especially since Home Edition cannot be joined to domains. The original poster stated he was working with XP Home Edition.

Thats correct mate, XP home doesnt support the use of groups, the ability to join a domain, or include the local users and groups tool

Xp home ...yuck...

atleast you can join a workgroup :)

BTW rightclick on my computer/manage/and check out local users and groups

you can disable/delete/view accounts in that area.

:D

LambOfGod said:
Xp home ...yuck...

atleast you can join a workgroup :)

BTW rightclick on my computer/manage/and check out local users and groups

you can disable/delete/view accounts in that area.

:D

Home doesnt support local users and groups mate

Nope. It supports the local networking, but I think that's about it.

Next, to answer the question, Gues account is for a guest to log in. The account is restricted and more limited than limited users.

Limited users are for you to create, but all the names you entered in the first startup are admins, by default.

Im on about the local users and groups tool mate, thats taken from the MS press book

Back
Top Bottom