reformating hardrive/reinstalling windows

computerman1

Solid State Member
hi,
i have a prob with my other PC. i am not an expert at computers. these are the things i gathered up about the PC...
hardrive-samsung SV1022D
memory-32768
pentium 3
700 mhz
atapi cd-rom 52X max
os-microsoft 98

anyways my prob is that when i turn the computer on it asutomatically goes to the windows 98 startup menu and gives me 5 options-
normal, safe mode, logged, command prompt, safe mode command promt.
it also saysd underneath that-warning:windows has detected a registory error, slect command promt only and run scanreg.
if u choose command prompt it just says the following file is miswsing or corrupted "c:/samsung/SSCDROM.sys". then...nothing. press anything and nothing happenes,the only option is to reboote the computer again.same with safe mode, logged. however if u choose safe mode command promt it promts c:/ and lets u tyoe something. this is the only option that lets you.

i either wanmt tpo fix this problem somehow or reformat my hardrve or reinsta;ll windows, however how would i go about re-installing windows or reformatting my hardrive if i cant even boot it up?
btw, i dont have a win98 boot up disk.
any help u guys could gve me would be very much appreciated.
thanks in advance...

lol sry gibant, thanks fot the site, i downloaded 98 boot disk saved it to floppy and it detected the disk. asked me if i want to run with disk support or without.
i chose without and it just loaded things up it self. after about 5 minutes it said, " the file sscdrom.sys is missing or corrupted." then it gave me a a:/ prompt... im very new to things like this so please help! thanks for all replies.

Boot from your disk to dos:
type del c:\samsung\SSCDROM.sys <enter>
your system is trying to boot a dos cd rom driver which is corrupt
Then reboot the computer after removing the floppy and hit f8 and choose logged.
Say no to everything and see if the computer boots.
Then try to fix the problems in your windows system.
You really should get a windows cd!

Bearing mind your corrupt file(s), on your HD, Re-formatting & installation would be the best thing.

Boot with the floppy and choose the option With disk support.

It will boot to the a: prompt.

It will tell you which drive is for CD support, E: maybe

Type FORMAT c:
It will ask if your sure?
Say (Y)es.
and let it format your HD.

When it has formatted the drive,

Put you win98 cd in the CD rom drive.

Type e: and press return/enter key (if E was the cd drive)

type setup press return/enter key

Glad we helped mate! It's a simple process once you've had to do it as many times as we have lol!

As I said, my girlfriends computer messed up and her mum took it to a repair shop, they said it would cost £105!! thats almost $200!! I couldn't believe it, I said I would do it for free lol.

*update*
i reformatted my hd cussesfully. i restarted the PC to re-install windows but when the menu came i chose without CD-ROM support and it said, "windows 98 has detcted drive c does not contain a valid fat of fat32 partiotion" number 1 the drive may ned tp be partioned. number 2-you may be using a third party disk partioning system.

im really sorry to keep postinjg but this is my first time doing this sort of thing...any help would be appreicated

Back
Top Bottom