Recycle Bin won't delete files

XI AlphaMale IX

Solid State Member
Running Vista. Most files can be sent to Recycle Bin and deleted just fine, but I had one file that wouldn't delete no matter what I did. Now I have two files that won't delete.

The first is an mp4 file and the second is a quicktime file. Both were temporary files before being sent to the RB (incomplete files from Limewire). When I try to empty the RB, I'm given the message:

"Deleting 2 items (709 KB)
from Recycle Bin
Discovered 0 items (0 bytes)..."

...and it simply will stay on that message until I cancel it.

How can I get rid of these files? I tried using the command prompt, but even after using "ATTRIB -R -S -H *.*" from the Recycle Bin directory, it can't find the files, as though they aren't there.

Any help would be much appreciated.

If that doesn't do it, restore hagain, and use Shift+Del. That erases the file without it to go in the recycle bin.

If those suggestions don't work, there are programs you can download that will force windows to delete files. I used to use one called Unlocker.

In the end if none of these options work. Try to boot up in Safe Mode and see if it allows you to delete the files then. I would try this before downloading any 3rd party software.

Thanks for all the help, everyone - problem solved! :D Now if anyone could be so kind as to help me with my other computer, I still need it: http://www.computerforums.org/showthread.php?t=81936

As for this one, rebooting is always the first thing I try when I can't solve a problem, so that wasn't quite it. I tried restoring the files and was given almost the same problem as when I tried to delete them (I meant to put that in the original post... whoops). REBOOTING IN SAFE MODE was what did the trick. I still don't know why it worked, but at least it worked! :) 3rd party software was my next option, and I didn't want to have to go down that path.

Thanks again, everyone!

Back
Top Bottom