Recover an external drive

intelboi

Baseband Member
some how my external drive was needed to be fomated but, i still have valuable files that i need .:( In what way can i recover it, or will i need to format it.?

Okay. Let me see if I get this straight. You have an external hard drive which needs to be reformatted. You have many valuable files in it that you would like to keep. And you wanna know how you save those files?

It's pretty simple, just copy them to your computer, reformat, copy back.

OR

If you're saying this: You have an EHD. It has been reformatted but you lost your files. Now you need them back. How do you get them?

I think there are programs that can recover it for you. I'm not sure if I recovers after you have reformatted (This is only hearsay)

nooo i have files in it,, but cannot acces them because my PC says to format and i still have things in it that i need.

Honestly, when I see this in an external drive it is usually the enclosure that is effing up. Taking the hard drive out usually reviles a fully working, unedited drive. That would be my starting point if it just started saying that it needs to be formatted out of the blue.

Oh. Wow. A third case scenario which I didn't take into account. Hum..I say wait until more members reply to this thread. I think what I said earlier about a program that recovers file after reformat could work. But then again it's hearsay. So just wait a little and other people will surely solve the problem for you.

Undelete programs are not very efficient. I didnt have very good experiences with them, so i dont know about recoverig the files after the format.

Undelete programs are not very efficient. I didnt have very good experiences with them, so i dont know about recoverig the files after the format.

Some are actually pretty good at getting files even if the drive has been formatted more than once. It all depends on the program itself.

I used 1 that worked well, I was able to get all of my sisters pictures off a drive after it had been reformatted.

I cant remember the name right now...oh and as far as the external enclosure goes I would try that...take it out and see if you can put it in your PC.

GETDATABACK is a very good recover program and does work retrieving files after a format, it is no full proof so it is up to you to try a recovery after format option, photos, and word documents seem to be easy to recover but large files such as AVI(films) are more difficult, try what Celegorm said first, another recovery program I have used with success is RECOVERMYFILES.

Back
Top Bottom