Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 02-27-2008, 10:34 PM   #1
Baseband Member

Default Recover an external drive

some how my external drive was needed to be fomated but, i still have valuable files that i need . In what way can i recover it, or will i need to format it.?

intelboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 10:44 PM   #2
Guru

Default Re: Recover an external drive

Okay. Let me see if I get this straight. You have an external hard drive which needs to be reformatted. You have many valuable files in it that you would like to keep. And you wanna know how you save those files?

It's pretty simple, just copy them to your computer, reformat, copy back.

OR

If you're saying this: You have an EHD. It has been reformatted but you lost your files. Now you need them back. How do you get them?

I think there are programs that can recover it for you. I'm not sure if I recovers after you have reformatted (This is only hearsay)

JogaBonito1502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 10:48 PM   #3
Baseband Member

nooo i have files in it,, but cannot acces them because my PC says to format and i still have things in it that i need.
intelboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 10:50 PM   #4
Site Team

Send a message via AIM to celegorm

Honestly, when I see this in an external drive it is usually the enclosure that is effing up. Taking the hard drive out usually reviles a fully working, unedited drive. That would be my starting point if it just started saying that it needs to be formatted out of the blue.

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 10:52 PM   #5
Guru

Oh. Wow. A third case scenario which I didn't take into account. Hum..I say wait until more members reply to this thread. I think what I said earlier about a program that recovers file after reformat could work. But then again it's hearsay. So just wait a little and other people will surely solve the problem for you.
JogaBonito1502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 10:54 PM   #6
In Runtime

Undelete programs are not very efficient. I didnt have very good experiences with them, so i dont know about recoverig the files after the format.
Intel Q6600 2.4Ghz Quad Core @ 3.0 Ghz/Corsair TWINX 800Mhz 4GB @ 850Mhz/Thermaltake Silent 775D/BFG GTX 260 OC edition/XFX nforce 680i/Hitachi Deskstar 750GB 7200 RPM/Apevia Warlock 750-watt/Vista 64-bit/Ultra Aluminus Full tower case/Samsung Blu-Ray Writer
jashan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 07:47 AM   #7
Site Team

Send a message via AIM to celegorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jashan17 View Post
Undelete programs are not very efficient. I didnt have very good experiences with them, so i dont know about recoverig the files after the format.
Some are actually pretty good at getting files even if the drive has been formatted more than once. It all depends on the program itself.

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 07:55 AM   #8
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to kjman87

I used 1 that worked well, I was able to get all of my sisters pictures off a drive after it had been reformatted.

I cant remember the name right now...oh and as far as the external enclosure goes I would try that...take it out and see if you can put it in your PC.
Car~07 Mazda 3s 5spd 2.3L: Simota CAI, Borla Cat-Back, Cat Delete, Lower Engine Mount, 1.5" Drop...and more...haha
kjman87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 09:43 AM   #9
Fully Optimized

Send a message via MSN to blackjack

GETDATABACK is a very good recover program and does work retrieving files after a format, it is no full proof so it is up to you to try a recovery after format option, photos, and word documents seem to be easy to recover but large files such as AVI(films) are more difficult, try what Celegorm said first, another recovery program I have used with success is RECOVERMYFILES.

blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote