recording

jpr

Beta member
hi guys im a new computer user so i dont know the lingo and stuff but i would like some advice.
i just bought a dell 8400 pentium 4 and what i would like to do is to record all of my old vcr tapes on to dvd through my computer.
what part or thing do i need to do this to record?
any suggestion would be appreciated
cheers

you'll need a tv card; one that will let you plug in your vcr into your computer. eg one with composite video in.
hauppage make a series of cards. and a few other major companies! or ya can look about on ebay and pick one up.
you need one that will record it at a decent resolution though. maybe someone can suggest a res, or a specific card for you

First, WELCOME to the forum!

Now, you really bit off a chunk to chew on for a first time user. And I really don't know if it would be the best way to do what you want.
For instance the converting of the VHS tapes to dvd is a very time consuming project and it requires about 6 gigs of harddrive space for every hour of movie. So with a 100 gig harddrive you would only be able to convert about 10 movies as most are about 1 1/2 hours long.This can get very expensive. By going to another option of converting the movies to disc it could be done a lot simpler and cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom