Recommendations on what to move around to expand Vista partition...

dude_56013

Fully Optimized
Well here's the scoop: I've allocated 150GB of space on my HDD for Vista and it's literally almost full :eek:

Why, you might ask, was I dumb enough to only make it that big? Well....I'm dual booting with XP and I thought I would hate Vista...but it's actually just the opposite..I love it and I hardly ever use my XP partition except to burn cds in iTunes (idk why it doesn't work in Vista but that's for another thread...) or to use Norton PartitionMagic (which is rarely).

Here's the breakdown of my hdd:
Part 0 - XP 10GB out of 100GB used, so 90GB free.
Part 1 - Vista 115GB out of 150GB used, so 35GB free (was almost out before I unistalled some games that I would've liked to keep on a while ago)...
Part 3 - Data (Documents, school stuff, music) 58GB out of 250GB used, so lots free...
Part 4 - Data (Movies, Games, larger applications) 173GB out of 198GB used, so almost out here as well.

So I'm not really sure what I can do. I really don't want to reinstall Vista at all...but Reinstalling XP wouldn't bother me...in fact, I may just not reinstall it at all, I'm not sure. So I supposed my only option is to move all my files in partitions 3 and 4 to my external hdd and then resize Vista, and then make a new partition (or two) for my data files, right? That seems like the easiest way to me. Ugh. I just wish I didn't make XP so damn big....

You need another hard drive for your data, seriously. Move all your data to another hard drive then merge the data partitions with your vista partition.

Yeah..that's always the easy solution. It's the fact that there is plenty of room on the HDD for my data...it's just how it's arranged that's pissing me off. I guess I'll try my solution if no one else has a better plan I can implement. Down the road, I'll probably get a 1TB hdd of some sort once I get paid for building the website I'm working on. Maybe I can make it until then. I have another 750GB external that I can move stuff too, but I've been trying to keep that as just a backup/transport drive and keep it out of my system. Bah. Who knows. I was just looking for suggestions...not really a major deal.

Back
Top Bottom