Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 06-20-2011, 09:31 PM   #1
Beta Member

Default Recommendations on a new rig. Processor intensive.

Hi all, I'm new here. Been reading a while, just decided to post for a change.
I'm wanting to build a new rig, yesterday my AMD 6400+ ran both cores at 95-100% for about 5 hours. And today my main system hard drive started clicking pretty bad. On top of that, I have nearly maxed out my storage capacity. So the way I see it, it's time to build a new pc.

I do a lot of video editing for major processor usage. I'm running ubuntu. I currently have 9tb of hard drive in my computer with only 1tb free. So, what would you guys recommend? I prefer an AMD processor or processors. Cost is a mild issue.

I think I have the storage problem figured out. I believe I can toss 12 sata ports in a single pcie x1 slot. But what hard drives to buy? What board? Processor? What case will be able to hold it all without looking like a cube monster?

Black Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:58 PM   #2
Fully Optimized

Default Re: Recommendations on a new rig. Processor intensive.

Instead of beating a dead horse (same situation) with the same stick (same solution), I'm going to post a thread that I started a week or two ago. Please read through this, then come back with questions. You sound as if you are in a similar situation as me. Also, I want you to note that I also went in looking at AMD, and came out realizing that Intel would perform much better at what I'd be doing--and the same holds true in your situation.

dude_56013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 10:25 PM   #3
Beta Member

Default Re: Recommendations on a new rig. Processor intensive.

I did read your post and the replies. And I understand that intel can be faster. But I discriminate against intel. Just as I discriminate against windows. Something about liking the underdog I suppose. Also, this is just a home pc, and home movies I'm editing. Mine just doesn't seem to keep up. It's not going to make me any money.
Black Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote