Recommendations for Business Laptop w/Docking Station

iPwn

..m.0,0.m..,
Hi All!

I have a client that is in the market for a new business laptop.

I'm currently looking at Thinkpad x240 (link). What I'm wondering is if anyone here has recommendations on a laptop that has a docking station (none of that USB port replication BS). The client has around five locations that this laptop will dock to over the course of a year. The locations are in place and setup (e.g. monitors/printers/etc). I've looked up the various docking stations, but see mixed reviews (for the lenovo line-up).

Anyone have first hand experience that can recommend either a good lenovo dock, OR another brand with good laptop/dock station combo's?

Last edited:
Wireless may be a good fit instead of docking.
As for docking, all of the brands have a range of docks and levels of quality. You just need to try some out to be sure. Reviews by other people are always subject to user error and incompetence. The only review I trust anymore is my own. :)

Dell's business laptops are good and they make their own docking stations.

Using Lenovo's at work, currently the T470s and T570 based on what the user wants. Both are great and have a good docking station available on amazon for roughly half of what Lenovo wants.

The 470s supports their new USB-C docking station as well. Similar concept where it gets power, monitors, network and peripherals through a single connection - only done through a single USB-C port instead of the traditional bottom-slot dock port. Works just as well IMO as the traditional dock.

Wireless may be a good fit instead of docking.
As for docking, all of the brands have a range of docks and levels of quality. You just need to try some out to be sure.

The dock isn't for internet, but the host of monitors, printers and other peripherals at each location. I can't "try out" a $4,000 setup and then just return it because after hours of personalization it wasn't a good fit.

Dell's business laptops are good and they make their own docking stations.

Any models you've used come to mind? I've been burned by Dell many a time so ... I avoid them like the plague anymore.

Using Lenovo's at work, currently the T470s and T570 based on what the user wants. Both are great and have a good docking station available on amazon for roughly half of what Lenovo wants.

The 470s supports their new USB-C docking station as well. Similar concept where it gets power, monitors, network and peripherals through a single connection - only done through a single USB-C port instead of the traditional bottom-slot dock port. Works just as well IMO as the traditional dock.

I looked at those, but one of his requirements is the laptop has to be as close to his current as possible. One of the biggest is the size, he wants it to be smaller than 13"

The HP EliteBook 840 G4 looks promising, as does the Lenovo X1 Carbon. He's indicated price is inconsequential so I may have a bit of fun building this setup!

I haven't tried the X1 Carbon, but i've been wanting to get my hands on one.

Prior to the company I work for standardizing and moving to Lenovo it was kind of a free-for-all. One of my co-workers ended up with a dell XPS-13 and it's actually a really nice unit. Almost non-existent Bezel on the screen so it's a 13" screen in an 11" unit.

XPS 13 High Performance Laptop with InfinityEdge Display | Dell United States

My co-worker doesn't have a dock for it, but it looks like based on the description it's compatible with this:
Dell Business Thunderbolt Dock - TB16 with 240W Adapter | Dell United States

I think we're going with the Carbon. I did look at the XPS, but there's a limit on the RAM And HDD size, 8GB and 256GB respectively.

His current laptop is a 256GB drive and is out of space. I realize this is upgrade-able... but looking to do the least amount of hardware changes as possible.

Back
Top Bottom