Recommend me a SSD

Teny

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
I'm looking for a SSD, preferably around the $100 mark. What do you guys recommend?

So far, after doing a bit of research, I found the Crucial M4 to be the best bang for the buck.
Crucial M4 CT064M4SSD2 2.5" 64GB (Currently $93 at my local Micro Center).
Should I go for this one or is there another one that is better within the price range?

My current mobo only supports SATAII (3.0 Gb/s). However, I plan on upgrading my mobo in a few months. I would be installing the OS and all my programs, as well as a couple of games (mostly Starcraft II and Battlefield 3) on the SSD, and everything else in my Samsung F3 1TB.

Just a warning.
64GB may not be enough.
Currently I have Windows 7 Ultimate on my SSD and I'm at 64 GB <- this is one a 120GB SSD
That's with my startup programs, and no games installed on it. So if you plan on installing any game on your SSD you may need a larger SSD.

Well, one thing I noticed is that Windows 7 will take up a lot of space if system restore, page file, and hibernation is enabled, as well as some OS back ups. I always turn off system restore and hibernation. I usually delete older back ups and stuff, and I plan on putting the page file onto my HDD. I would say Windows 7 should take up at most ~20 after disabling/moving those. Which should leave me space for a game or two (depending on their size). Also, if I do need space, I will just pick up another M4 and run RAID0 for better performance and more space.

I noticed SSD with Trim functions have a lower degradation. Is there a way to find out if the SSD have the trim feature? Mostly on the M4 model I cam currently looking at.

I disagree. The Corsair that sniperviper linked will be better than the Crucial for a couple of reasons. The Corsair uses Sand Force, which is vastly superior to the Marvell controller that the Crucial uses (and we have one of the Crucial drives here, never again), and 40GB is a little small, but it's enough to run Windows 7 and a few programs from. You most likely won't need much more space on the SSD since an additional hard drive will serve up most content just fine otherwise.

I disagree. The Corsair that sniperviper linked will be better than the Crucial for a couple of reasons. The Corsair uses Sand Force, which is vastly superior to the Marvell controller that the Crucial uses (and we have one of the Crucial drives here, never again), and 40GB is a little small, but it's enough to run Windows 7 and a few programs from. You most likely won't need much more space on the SSD since an additional hard drive will serve up most content just fine otherwise.

40Gb is a bit too small for me. I want to be able to install just one game.

The write speed on the drive Newegg.com - Crucial M4 CT064M4SSD2 2.5" 64GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) is only 90mb, you will be better off getting a SSD which has a read and write speed of as close to 300mb as you can get.

I would also recommend buying a 32 or 64gb drive and install your OS on this drive, and then your programs on another sata HD

The only other SSD that is 64Gb and fits within my price range are OCZ SSD. However, it seems like most of their recent ones are crashing and failing pretty easily within the first year.

Back
Top Bottom