Recognized Automatically

OneMarcilV

In Runtime
I thought when hooking a external hard drive to a computer the drive us automatically recognized. 2 TB Western Digital is not seen by the computer unless I assign the drive a letter using Next2 Volume manager. Once I disconnect and reconnect the drive the drive letter is still seen on the My Computer window. But, my 1 TB Weastern Digital hard drive is recognized.

The 2 TB is not self powered and the 1 TB is.

Any ideas why this happens?

I'm not sure about the problem. Describe your problem more clearly please. What happens when only the 1TB disk is connected? What happens when you assign the drive letter and then disconnect? Try using made up letters, like "I assign C: to the 2TB and then D: to the 1TB, when I disconnect, the 1TB shows letter D: instead of C:", for example.

What do you mean by "not self-powered"?

Edit: Also read the link in my signature.

Self powered means have tp plug the hard drive into the wall socket to make the hard drive readable. There as the other hard drive just connects to the computer and has power and is readable.

The only thing that I see in your signature is this...

IMG_5806.jpg

Is that external drive an USB device? If so it should be recognized as an USB device and assigned a letter.

By the way, is the USB cable removable? You may have the wrong cable.

Oh you are on Tapatalk. "Ask questions the right way!" Should be a link. Nevermind.

So, what do you assign and what is left after you unplug the drive?

Is that external drive an USB device? If so it should be recognized as an USB device and assigned a letter.

By the way, is the USB cable removable? You may have the wrong cable.

Use the connection is a USB. Using the original USB cable.

Oh you are on Tapatalk. "Ask questions the right way!" Should be a link. Nevermind.

So, what do you assign and what is left after you unplug the drive?

I assign the drive a letter using the programme Ext2 Volume manager. Which works until I remove the hard drive from the computer.

Here are some photographs.

Below is what is seen within the MY COMPUTER view before the drive letter is assigned.
IMG_5809.jpg

Below is the drive letter assigned using Ext2.

The drive letter is F:
IMG_5810.jpg

Below is what is seen in the MY COMPUTER view after the drive letter is assigned.
'IMG_5811.jpg

Then after the drive is removed from the computer or course the Drive letter will disappear from the view.

Well, of course. External drives disappear from view when disconnected. So you say that when you reconnect the drive to the computer it doesn't have any letter assigned to it?

This problem is not common. My guess is your unsupported OS and the shady software you are using are causing this issue.

First of all, I'd recommend updating XP. I have a feeling you have a reason why you won't, so let's move on.

Second, stop using that program. Use Diskpart. It's not that hard. I can give you a few pointers, but before that: does the drive contain any valuable information?

Your removable drive is a C?

That might be what your problem is. You should assign C and D to your fixed drives. Then you'll be able to plug in an USB device and it will assign a letter.

No letter assigned after drive is removed and added back to computer. I have 2 Windows 10 computers. So I am keeping my other two computers using Windows XP.

All the drive has is a backup of all me external hard drives. No biggie. Can back the drives back to the one that has no letter permentaly assigned.

Back
Top Bottom