Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 03-14-2015, 05:03 PM   #1
Baseband Member

Default Rec./Best HDD.... HGST?

Background:
1. 1st build.
2. 3 mos. ago minimal computer knowledge. Went from learning what wi-fi and Bluetooth is ---> challenging myself to do a build.
3.. Will be basic home PC. Mainly file ( pic and home video storage ), with possible gaming. Nothing crazy....?

What I have so far:
i7 4790k
gigabyte Z97X gaming 3 mobo
Noctua NH-D14 fan/heat sink
Crucial Ballistix ( sport) 16gb RAM - 2 x 8gb sticks
Corsair AX 750 PSU
LG Blu-Ray internal optical drive w/ burner and BDXL
Samsung 500gb 850 PRO SSD
Internal card reader (don't laugh)
Corsair 760T case

What I still need to get:
HDD - for file storage
Another larger External HD
OS _ Leaning towards Win 7. We have 8.1 -HATE it!!!
Will more then likely upgrading my exhaust fan
Would like to add an additional fan on top or underneath HDD or HDD cooler case/fan
GPU- Want to run 3 monitors. Nothing crazy like 4k or too insanely expensive. Mainly because we have lots of windows open ( online ) @ a time. Do not intend to game with 3 monitors ( if I even game...?)

So I want to put the most reliable, least amount of failure HDD in. Would like to go with as much gb storage as possible. ( Even though it will be backed up on an external HD). Not sure if I am going to RAID1 as an additional HDD in case 1 fails.

After doing mainy searches and reviews. It sounds like the 4gb HGST got some great reviews.

http://www.ryli.net/the-best-and-fastest-hard-disk-drive-hdd/

http://www.storagereview.com/best_drives

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/best-hard-drive/

Thanks everyone.
Would like to keep this as simple as possible. Nothing insanely expensive. Would like to keep $200 or less per HDD.

frldyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 11:06 AM   #2
Wizard of Wires

Default Re: Rec./Best HDD.... HGST?

Well Hitachi drive division went with WD. Samsung drive division went with Seagate, of all people. I used to use a lot of Samsung. Not any more since they pulled that stunt.

I never used a HGST drive in a build but all of my laptops have Hitachi. Not one moments trouble out of them.
I personally used WD blue or black for my builds. Run cool and very quiet. Reasonable costs also. Good bang for the buck.

WD uses a color code system for what drive is made for what job.
Purple is for security DVRs and the Reds are for NAS boxes. Heavy constant use. I have a Purple in my camera DVR and it's getting a constant workout. I also have 2 Reds in my NAS box. They too are getting flogged.
Green is for the tree huggers. Intermittent use.
Blue and Black. I use these. I use very little of the blues unless it's a build for some one else that's on a tight budget. My own stuff has Black in them. Last build is 2 2TB and 4 500gig. Not one whimper or complaint out of any of the drives. It's been running non stop for 7 months unattended in another state and not one email alert from the system about the drives.

setishock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 01:27 PM   #3
Fully Optimized

I put a Seagate Constellation enterprise drive in mine as they are made to run 24/7.
Old 03-15-2015, 08:27 PM   #4
Site Team

Send a message via AIM to celegorm

I"m kind of the opposite of Seti here - I've never had a good Hitachi drive and in the probably 20 or so seagate drives I've used in the last 6 years I've only had one failure. IN cases of laptops, a chunk of those seagates I got were replacing Hitachi Drives.

Now I've never used them since WD bought them so maybe they've gotten better. However like almost everything else in computing there is no 1 best brand. Every brand has a bad run or two so really as long as you stay with something well-known you should be fine.

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 09:30 PM   #5
Fully Optimized

When I shop for parts I look at reviews for runs of bad batches as it happens to every makers in a given time. Like at the time I was looking for a hard drive there was some bad runs in the few brands at the time that I settled on this Seagate Constellation enterprise drive. There was only 4-5 reviews and all thumbs up. I guess it's the price that not many will buy for but I did (and they did).

I just want a drive that's reliable and it is. I don't mind paying for it but you only lived once.
Old 03-16-2015, 10:23 AM   #6
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celery View Post
When I shop for parts I look at reviews for runs of bad batches as it happens to every makers in a given time. Like at the time I was looking for a hard drive there was some bad runs in the few brands at the time that I settled on this Seagate Constellation enterprise drive. There was only 4-5 reviews and all thumbs up. I guess it's the price that not many will buy for but I did (and they did).

I just want a drive that's reliable and it is. I don't mind paying for it but you only lived once.
Absolutely, I totally agree with Celery here, some batches or models can be bad, some are better, you can only really find out from other people's experience.

i5 4210M || 500GB Samsung EVO 850 SSD || GeForce 825M || 16GB DDR3 RAM || Windows 10 x64
joedaman633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 07:28 AM   #7
Baseband Member

I ended up going with a 4tb 720 HGST

frldyz is offline   Reply With Quote