Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 04-27-2011, 12:47 AM   #1
Beta Member

Default Realtek HD audio no sound. Possibly fried.

I need some help. i tried to plug the output of my guitar amp into my computer to do some recording. well it didnt work and when i tried to play music later on, there was no sound. restarted, disabled realtek and enabled, and reinstalled drivers. I think that i may have fried the sound but i would like to know some other options before i start doing anything.

muska200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:53 AM   #2
Golden Master

Send a message via Yahoo to Tommy Boy
Default Re: Realtek HD audio no sound. Possibly fried.

You sure it's not muted or anything like that? I don't see how plugging something in would fry your sound card, it's got to be a setting issue.

Tommy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 12:42 PM   #3
Fully Optimized

Start -> My computer right click manage -> device manager -> rightclick realtek HD audio -> update driver.

if your card was fried your PC would either bluescreen or not start, since it's hardware.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:31 PM   #4
Beta Member

@ Tommy boy, yes i have checked. the weird thing is that the default volume control on the toolbar for xp is even gone. and as for a fry, i think that the current coming out of the amp could have possibly been able to do that.
@ Darkseeker, the driver is up to date, so no go on that. i never knew that frying a sound card could keep a pc from starting though, thanks for that.

After much Google and taking the computer apart, I fixed it.
I ran troubleshooter and tried everything in it until i found one page. it said to go into the bios settings and make sure the onboard audio was enabled. well first of all pain in the ass hp doesnt want you in the bios so i had to take out the cmos battery. after getting in, i found it was turned to auto, i switched it to enable and tried it. there was sound but it was quite scrathcy. so i turned it back to auto and now i have perfect sound.
i think that being it was on auto, it deteced the amp and thought there was too much power coming in so it gave out.
Thanks for your help anyways guys, this helped me learn alot.
muska200 is offline   Reply With Quote