Realone player contains spyware

hrrrm..... mine doesnt, did you install realone or realplayer 10, which is the newest version. I never had realone installed on this machine, I went from realjukebox (old version) straight to 10

A guy called "True Orient" helped me with a bit of this info.

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe

here is an excerpt from there privacy policy

(14-Jan-2005,)
“Use of Invisible GIFs. Invisible GIFs (also known as "single pixel tags" or "action tags," or "web bugs") may be used to assist in delivering cookies on our site relating to third party advertising and research services. We use this technology to access your personally identifiable information in accordance with the other sections of this privacy policy, and to compile aggregate data. This technology is used in our email messages that are delivered by a third party advertising service. This technology transfers your e-mail address to us so that we can associate your personally identifiable information with the elements (such as links, advertisements or graphics) that you click on a RealNetworks web page. We also use this technology to compile aggregate statistics about our website. Additionally, third party advertisers and research services may share aggregated and anonymous site statistics with RealNetworks regarding the web traffic patterns of web browsers that visit certain RN sites, whether through the use of Invisible GIFs or otherwise. If you are concerned about these practices, you may opt out from receiving cookies in your browser or you may visit the URLs listed below which direct you to the privacy policy page of RealNetworks' recent advertising service providers and instructs you how to opt out from their cookies or informs you of their cookie policy.”.

heres a bit more:

Real Networks Scheduler which gets installed with RealOne Player. Under Win9x/ME this task shows as TKBELLEXE, and as EVNTSVC under Windows 2000/XP or REALSCHED depending on which version of RealOne Player you have installed. From our experience, everything that applies to EVNTSVC below, also applies to REALSCHED. RNDAL is a good starting point to read about RealOne Player. Next, a 15-Jun-2002 extract from the RealOne Player License Agreement that is specific to EVNTSVC (the said License Agreement was updated on 25-Nov-2002 by Real Networks and EVNTSVC was replaced by REALSCHED in that version of the License Agreement) : An application Scheduler, known as “evntsvc.exe,” is installed along with RealOne Player. Once installed, it runs independently of RealOne Player. The Scheduler does not collect personal information or communicate with RealNetworks' servers. It is used to remind AutoUpdate and Message Center to perform their tasks at pre-scheduled intervals. The Scheduler is also used to automatically launch RealNetworks' Media Type Helper. The Media Type Helper ensures the system is configured for correct operation of the RealOne Player with Multi-Purpose Internet Mail Extensions (“MIME”) types, file extensions, Internet protocols and other media types. If a media type has been assigned a different action by a different application, Media Type Helper may override the association and substitute its own association.

If reading about RNDAL did not put you off, then read on. RealPlayer Classic used to be one of the most needed pieces of software on a PC. Its successor, RealOne Player, is vying for the title of the most hated piece of software. For a start, on many PCs EVNTSVC/REALSCHED slows down boot-ups unacceptably, using up to 90% of CPU time at times. There have also been reports of EVNTSVC dropping advertising shortcuts onto the desktop during idle times. Next, if you try to disable EVNTSVC/REALSCHED on the Startups tab, RealOne Player checks to see if it has been deleted or disabled in the Registry and re-instates it as an enabled startup item ! To be fair, there is a facility within RealOne Player to “only perform automatic services while RealOne Player is in use”. However, since RealOne Player is unfortunately needed to watch videos on many news sites.

is that convincing? if anyone wants to know how to remove it say so, real operates fine without it.

cheeseman222

yah I go to msconfig and disable starting at startup but the lil creep keeps coming up. he he. time for regedit!!

athlon64fx said:
linux is even mroe vulnerable since its open source. heck you can DoS a server though simple php message boards now!!!!!

and mess up one or two characters in teh kernal or module files and your whole system is compromized. whilist in windows you can use the xp repair function and not have to reformat to get back up and running

linux takes a good 3 hour install on my machine for even the simple distros such as redhat.

windows xp takes a good 35 minutes and thats even with reformatting.

heck server 2003 enterpise can be up and running in two hours!

and linux is waaaaaayyyy picky!

Excuse me? Gentoo pwns you.... :D Gentoo is GOD.

athlon64fx,
He's right gentoo does pwn.
Any system/server can be DoSed with enough resources. Most distros of linux come with a live cd this allows you to fix the problem. Redhat took an hour to install with ALL the features configured and ready to run, xp you have to set it all up which will take most people a good while. Linux is open source yes, but you're only looking at the negative. People can also contribute and patch flaws. Linux is also a lot more configurable than windows. Anything you can do on windows, you can do on linux plus more. Ask yourself, which system gets compromised more? if you think linux, you're wrong... i wonder why even microsoft uses linux servers instead of windows? hmm...

The Google Toolbar is an option RealPlayer wants you to install. I just uncheck it, and it won't install it. As far as that other stuff is, I have no clue that even exist. I just recently downloaded RealPlayer 10.something and it is crap.

realplayer 10 has that google toolbar thing, I disabled it and I dont have spyware, I jsut msconfig it out.

Back
Top Bottom