Really want to upgrade to a GTX 680 but not sure about CPU

xArcticMonkey

Beta member
My problem is that I really want to upgrade to a new GPU but it seems like it'll be a lot more expensive than just replacing my graphics card. I've read that an i7 930 (the cpu I'm using) will bottleneck the GPU. Will the bottlenecking really be that bad? I don't OC my cpu so the speed is the stock 2.8 ghz. I'm also in need of a new case and I plan to spend about 180$ on that so the GPU + Case is already going to cost me about 700$. If I were to change to a new CPU + Motherboard I'd be spending about 1200$.

Should I just bite the bullet and spend the 1200$ or would the my i7 930 not bottleneck the gtx 680 too badly?

I've read in places that the GPU would only be used as much as 95%(which doesn't seem too bad to me) and other places I read 80% (which is a huge deal)

currently I'm using an HD 5870.

I also do plan on changing my motherboard some time but the thing is newer motherboards for the ivy bridge cost just as much as first gen cpu mobos and I imagine they perform better and cooler. So there's really no point in upgrading motherboards without upgrading my CPU, right?
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Thanks in advanced for any replies.

Last edited:
No, there is no point in upgrading the mobo without the cpu. the z77 chipset mobo are not to expensive if you know what your looking to get from it (don't go spending money on a motherboard that has slots and supports things your never going to use).
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-Z77-D3H LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard or
Newegg.com - MSI Z77A-G45 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

Not sure on how much the cpu would bottleneck the gpu though

Back
Top Bottom