Really slow computer

amyth91

Beta member
i am using dell studio 1558 , running win7 home premium. my system worked fine earlier, but now it has gone really slow, dnt know why but it is working so slow. even when i try to switch tabs, it gets stuck !!! can anyone tell me , how do i fix this problem, is it because of the softwares i am running ??? i have adobe amste collection installed in my system. and nthing else !

go to start where the search bar is on the taskbar where it says "search programs and files" type: "msconfig" press enter...then go to startup..uncheck things like "adobe update", "java update" and things that appear to be under "startup" on your programs menu... see if tat helps, also make sure your pc is in a cool quiet spot, and also make sure that you have an antivirus program running and check for latest deffenitions updates in the antivirus software..one of the best for this is avg anti-virus 2011 which can be found at: AVG Free | Antivirus Download | Free Virus Protection | UK.... there also is a paid edition which supports many other features such as gaming mode, spam filters, anti threat protection, 64bit protection if you run the x64 bit version of windows 7 h/premium...also i beleive you get free support even with the free version of avg antivirus...so it's worth checking out!, best of luck!

thanks ! i tried that out, but still its the same. it works fine as soon as i restart my system, but then suddenly the ram usage goes to like 70 - 80 % even when i am not using anything.

my sys config :

dell 1558 studio
500 gb HD
1G ATI Raedon 5470
4g DDR3 ram - - upgrading to 6G soon !

and can anyone help me with merging of drives, i have 5 partations at the moment. i want to add 3 of them to c:. but when i go to manage option from my computer, i am unable to.

that is also a possibility...check the amount of free space on the partition and keep an eye on those cpu temps, post here to tell me what kind of temps you are getting on your machine.

@Legodude522 : i have 68G free space on my c drive, i have 80G free on all other drives. i emptied everything from all other drives as i bought a 1T external drive. now i want to merge my drives into c, how do i do it ?

@BoyGenius_1987: yeah, i checked out the temperatures and they were really shocking, the temperature was around 85 degree c. i found out a reason for that, i used to keep my laptop over a book, so that the cpu fan inlet gets enough space to suck in cool air, but the book blocked inlets that lead to ram and other stuff, and this made that part really heated,

it even smelt burning sometimes. after see the temperatures i switched off my system and kept it in front of cool air from the freezer and now the temperature reading is 65 degree c. do, you know anyway to keep it cooler. here is a detail snapshot.

HlxoQNOtcFAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

@amyth91 thats a really bad idea, never block the vents on your dear laptop, you will be sending it to laptop heaven quicker than you can cook your average cooked dinner, anything between mid 20's-65's are in the "ok zone, anything beyond this is considered "overheating" keep an eye on those temps!, also another great way to keep it kool is by getting a plastic box filling it with ice (make sure u put a lid on this, leave the box in fridge for 10-15 minstake it out, then place the laptop on top of this (presuming u have a container) ALSO make sure that the lid is fully on making sure the ice will not spill out onto PCB Components within the laptop and then when u see better results post them temps!

Back
Top Bottom