ready to OC big time.

amp27

Daemon Poster
so i am new to overclocking but have heard about it all the time but i have always had prebuilts and could never do it.

this is the good part. my idel temps are about 10C. and yes it is possible.

i got a AMD Athlon 64 X2 5400+ Black Edition.

and my board in the sig.

yes i no i have it oc'ed but my board has a auto over clock and you just click a button and it oc's right now it is at 3.0 not 3.2. 3.2 was on 8v. v6 is 3.0

and v12 is unrunable

so what are the basics? teach me please and even the ram.

so i am new to overclocking but have heard about it all the time but i have always had prebuilts and could never do it.

and my board in the sig.

yes i no i have it oc'ed but my board has a auto over clock and you just click a button and it oc's right now it is at 3.0 not 3.2. 3.2 was on 8v. v6 is 3.0

and v12 is unrunable

ideal temps 10C on an OC...? what've you been smoking...? or are you trying to tell us that those are your temps right now pre-OC...? I wouldn't trust those temps, is that what you're getting in your bios...?

unless you are running a high end air or water coolling system i would check them temps with a few different programs and in the bios just to be sure

also is that core temp cos if so that is usually pretty low

cos right no my core temp is like 18-20
and the cpu temp is like 32
and my ambient temps are pretty warm right now here its been the hottest day in like a long time
thats using stock cooling with stock thermal paste and everything else on stock and i have like 4 120mm case fans

bois says around 25 and yes that is the "cpu temp" it says cpu temp word for word

so whats the diff in core and cpu i am getting those reading with CPUID HM and in the processor tab by core1 and core 2. i dont see cpu temp

and what are the maxes for both. as i said i am confuzed that there are two.

and my board in the sig.

and v12 is unrunable

Do you live in an igloo?

yea i love the cold, and it is is always like 60 degrees F* in here. and my temp. are from readings on cpuidH.M. last night i have a min temp of 0c at 31degrees. all this is no line it is either true or my readings are bad. and that is the core by the way. those are the only temp under AMD Athlon 64 X2 5400+

i have other temps that show around 20c and those may be the temp that are not the core. idk noone is helping me. whats what. i am not a newb to this just dont no everything. i can figure out what you tell me

It is physically impossible to get 10C temperatures unless you are in a room that is @ 10C. This holds true for water cooling as well.

I know it may seem logical, because to most people: fans= cool air, but fans only cool us off as they allow for the quicker evaporation of sweat. However, if you're room is @ 20C, the air is still going to be @ 20C, no matter how much air you're putting out.

Your temp sensor may be off, try downloading RealTemp and see if you still have the 10C temperatures. RealTemp gets the temp for each core, which is generally much more accurate.

My Mobo's temp sensor tells me my CPU is @ 20C, despite being overclocked by 940mhz...obviously, this could hardly be true, especially since I'm running air cooling, and the room I'm in is about 22C.

Realtemp tells me my temps are around 44C..which seems much more probable. So definitely take the time to open RealTemp and make sure.

Also, with today's monstrous CPU heatsinks, it's unlikely that heat will be your limiting factor in overclocking, but rather your FSB wall or the voltage your crank into your CPU. My CPU never crosses 45C, yet I don't OC it further, because I would have to put more voltage into it, and it would result in accelerated processor degeneration....and it'd be unlikely for me to get past my current 450mhz FSB.

About your voltages:

If you tried running your CPU @ 12v that's bloody insane. You should NEVER cross 4.3V

It is physically impossible to get 10C temperatures unless you are in a room that is @ 10C. This holds true for water cooling as well.

I know it may seem logical, because to most people: fans= cool air, but fans only cool us off as they allow for the quicker evaporation of sweat. However, if you're room is @ 20C, the air is still going to be @ 20C, no matter how much air you're putting out.
QFT. Below ambient temperature is impossible with air or water cooling. Only under dry-ice etc can taht be achieved.

For core temps, just use PCWizard, Everest, or HWmonitor is a good one if you don't want a big download.

As you have a Black Edition CPU, it has an unlocked multiplier. So instead of increasing the HT bus, you can easily overclock just the CPU using the multiplier. Bus speed is 200MHz, every increase of 1 on the multiplier increases the clock speed by 200MHz.
If you lose stability, simply give the core voltage a small jump and test again.
Once you've accomplished that, you could try increasing the NB clock to gain a little extra performance, just make sure your RAM stays in spec though.

Once you're a little more experienced, you could try decreasing the multiplier, and raising the HT bus speed to see if that makes a difference to performance.

Back
Top Bottom