re-vamping laptop

PlayinSumWoW

Beta member
Hate to be the guy who only comes back to ask questions, but here goes:
I'm trying to rebuild an old Gateway laptop that has suffered a huge virus and is just entirely too slow to keep using as-is.
My understanding is that if i buy a larger hard drive (bigger cache, RPM speed, etc.) and more DDR2, and a new copy of windows XP (which the laptop previously ran, as i have no desire to go vista.), then i will be on the right track. I've checked my specs, and all of the hardware fits, i'm just wondering if there is anything else i need to do or worry about(cooling fans, batteries, compatibility issues) if i'm going to replace these. I'm not exactly a genius when it comes to building.
Thanks

Everything seems fine. Make sure your laptop supports the speed and the amount of RAM you're getting. I'm just curious as to why you need a new Windows XP. Just use the key code that's underneath your laptop.

oh didn't know that sorry. actually i had unused disks already, and was just going to use them because i thought i had to.

Make sure the ram is compatible as stated..
Also If you have the reinstall disk if you got it when you bought the laptop.. You could just use that.
As for more rpm and cache Yes. That will Help. Make a massive difference.. eh.. Depending on what you have now.. it might or might not.

Back
Top Bottom