RE: hard disc drives

i8DRM

Baseband Member
RE: hard disc drives

Is a 750GB hard disc drive large enough for download of a 120 minute movie off the internet (to burn to DVD)?
Also, if one has multiple HDDs (separate, not RAID), can the movie be downloaded to a blank hard disc drive, or must it go to the HDD having the OS, MyDVD, etc.

Re: hard disc drives

750GB after format you looking at around 700GB.

A movie of 120 mins / 2 hours will be around 1GB at standard quality or 7GB for blu-ray .mkv (all average figures).

So you will get 1400 Hours of standard definition movie time, or 100 hours of 1080P movie time.

So yes, a 750GB will hold a 120min movie.
And yes, you can download to a separate internal drive.

Secondly, You will need to change the default download location, in chrome its in settings. Presuming your using something like uTorrent its in preferences. change the default save location to the second (non-OS) drive.

750GB after format you looking at around 700GB.

A movie of 120 mins / 2 hours will be around 1GB at standard quality or 7GB for blu-ray .mkv (all average figures).

So you will get 1400 Hours of standard definition movie time, or 100 hours of 1080P movie time.

So yes, a 750GB will hold a 120min movie.
And yes, you can download to a separate internal drive.

Secondly, You will need to change the default download location, in chrome its in settings. Presuming your using something like uTorrent its in preferences. change the default save location to the second (non-OS) drive.

Thanks for the info! I kinda thought that, but many on other forums kept telling me a 1TB drive was minimum for any sort of movie burning or editing. Any idea why so many are fixated on the 1TB drives? Is there something I'm missing?

Mostly for the extra space.

If you only intend to have a few movies on the drive you will be fine. And the extra 250GB only isn't much at that storage level.

Mossiac

It will hold, but if you are thinking about buying a new HDD right now, don't get the 750 GB. You'll find your money better spent with something 2 TB+. If you already have the 750 GB HDD though, then by all means, use that. You'll be OK. :)

It will hold, but if you are thinking about buying a new HDD right now, don't get the 750 GB. You'll find your money better spent with something 2 TB+. If you already have the 750 GB HDD though, then by all means, use that. You'll be OK. :)

Would love to get a massive drive but I've heard too many complaints regarding XP Pro (and legacy kernels of Linux) throwing a hissy fit when confronted with drives over 1TB...I figure if that's the upper limit, then 750GB is just short 250GB, and I can live with that. I got no reason to burn more than one movie at a time, or try to do two or more things at once, so big drives look like overkill to me.

I am wondering though if there would be any benefit to adding a 250GB SATA SSD for the sole purpose of downloading a movie to burn to disc? That would free up space on my other drives.

I believe you are thinking ~2 TB, or 2^32 logical blocks with a sector size of 512 bytes.

If you are OK with the price, there is almost always benefits to getting SSD.

I believe you are thinking ~2 TB, or 2^32 logical blocks with a sector size of 512 bytes.

If you are OK with the price, there is almost always benefits to getting SSD.

Are you sure about this? Could of sworn I'd read that the various problems begin at the 1TB size, and then anything greater than that size sends XP Pro or Linux legacy distros (using pre-2.6.30 kernels) into convulsions.

As for SSD, some of the 250GB ones are within reason at around $200, but brands like OCZ & Intel are outrageously priced ($800-$1000 or more). Are the cheapo Samsung and Dell ones junk?

Are you sure about this? Could of sworn I'd read that the various problems begin at the 1TB size, and then anything greater than that size sends XP Pro or Linux legacy distros (using pre-2.6.30 kernels) into convulsions.
I'm pretty sure it's 2 TB. LBD (large block device) configurations in Linux specifically help deal with drives above 2 TB. If you happen to come across the articles again, I'll happily take a look. :)

Back
Top Bottom