Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 02-11-2006, 07:41 PM   #1
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to MikeReiner Send a message via MSN to MikeReiner Send a message via Yahoo to MikeReiner
Default Random studder

Every couple of minutes, my system will just studder...
the video, sound, EVERYTHING freezes, whether i'm playing a game or just browsing the web...

i've tried everything short of formatting (not an option)

i've scanned with spybot, avg, adaware, spybot and adaware found a few things, but that was it...

I thought it might have been a PSU problem (was using a cheapo 300 watt stock PSU at the time)
So I bought a Works 400 watt, problem still exists...

the computer I am referring to is "FireWire", Number 1 on my signature.

MikeReiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 08:17 PM   #2
BSOD

Send a message via AIM to JustinMcG67 Send a message via MSN to JustinMcG67 Send a message via Yahoo to JustinMcG67
Default Re: Random studder

Ok what the heck is going on. I replied to this and now my post is gone...

JustinMcG67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 10:12 PM   #3
Golden Master

Overheating maybe...download speed fan check your temps post them

what is up vanilla face
G35x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 10:35 PM   #4
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to MikeReiner Send a message via MSN to MikeReiner Send a message via Yahoo to MikeReiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dev0115
Overheating maybe...download speed fan check your temps post them
Story time, YAY?!

ok, heres the thing...

my intel 2.4ghz cpu idles at about 49C, and at LOAD is 61C.. now I know that is not that good, but it's been that way for the past 3 years, and this problem only recently started...

I convinced my dad to let me format a long time ago because I was having some really bad problems, and it was long over due anyway (2 1/2 years), so I managed to do it, and all was well, but now this problem is here, and all i can think of to do is format... but my dad is being... "difficult"
Old 02-11-2006, 10:46 PM   #5
Golden Master

Maybe that constant overheating has caught up to you? And now the aftermath starts.? Im not sure wat else s could be the problem

what is up vanilla face
G35x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 11:05 PM   #6
Fully Optimized

That isn't overheating though. Those temperatures are on the high end but they are fine. Memory can sometimes cause very strange problems. Try switching around the DIMM's or taking one out (if there are two).
Jamxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 11:14 PM   #7
BSOD

Send a message via AIM to JustinMcG67 Send a message via MSN to JustinMcG67 Send a message via Yahoo to JustinMcG67

First off, your CPU isn't overheating. I run with those same temps, if not higher. Heck, I even overclocked my CPU like a bajillion times. Pentium 4 Prescott processors can handle A LOT of heat. They're meant to function extremly well under high heat. The only time you really need to worry is when you approach 75 to 80 C. And even then, the way to fix that is to just buy a new $15 CPU HSF.

I doubt it's your CPU overheating...highly, HIGHLY, doubt it...
JustinMcG67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 12:03 AM   #8
In Runtime

Hey Mike,

In my experience, I have learned that a problem like this could be multiple things.

For one, how old is your HDD? If it is old, then the hardware could be malfunctioning. You might wanna try switching out your IDE cables because they could also be damaged. A studder sounds like something having to do with data transfer.

It could also have something to do with your RAM. RAM needs power to work so that means if your RAM is not getting sufficient power or has a poor connection, then you could have "studders" or malfunctions.

I don't believe it is an overheating problem. Usually, if something is too hot to the point of not working... It will melt. Then you're computer won't work at all.

I am no expert but these are just my first thoughts. If I am incorrect, hopefully someone will correct me.

Good luck Mike.
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ / DFI Lanparty UT NF4 SLI-DR Expert NVIDIA Socket 939 / FX GeForce 7800 GT 256MB GDDR3 / 2x1GB of G.Skill PC4000 DDR500 3.5.5.10 F1-4000USU2 / 19" Kingston LCD / 550 W ULTRA X-2 PSU / JBL 5.1 / PS CS2.0 / 120 G 7200RPM I also have an Olympus Evolt E-500 digital camera and 9" WS portable DVD player.
LukeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 02:52 AM   #9
Golden Master

Well, I really doubt it's the hard drive.

but, it could be related...
i've heard somewhere that having two hard drives on the same IDE connection is not exactly a good thing... and, well, I happen to have it setup like this.

oh, and for the record, the CPU core is northwood, not prescott.

and another thing, the video card and the 2nd hard drive are the only two components that have changed ever since I got this computer 3 years ago.
Old 02-12-2006, 02:58 AM   #10
Fully Optimized

check the task manager and see which process takes up all the cpu when that happens cause it sounds like something is randomly taking up 100% of the cpu then going back down