Random restarts, non stopbips, now silent

diurno

Solid State Member
Hi guys,
As it says in the title. My computer started randomly restarting when I told it to shut down. Also whenever it fell asleep it never would wake up. I would have to do a cold restart or actually turn it off and clear CMOS.
Because of the sleep thing and due to the amount of rubbish that I had in it. I thought that a good old fresh start by reinstalling windows again would do the trick just fine and fix everything.
Well....it hasn't. In fact its even worse, just after the first stage of installing windows when it starts to copying files and it automatically restarts, it started beeping non stop for a good 1 or 2. I had to eventually turn it off and clear CMOS.
I turned it back on and nothing came up. I immediately, thought...must be all this cold shut downs that fried the graphics card. Made sure that it wasn't the cable that connects the computer to the monitor or anything like that.
What I find really weird is that I would expected some beeps when I removed the graphics card and then turned the computer back on and nothing. Nada

Removed the hard drive also expecting some irrational beeps, nothing.
Kinda running out of ideas what might have happened and how I can test and then solve it!!
Suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks guys!!!

Just as the first thing that pops into my head from what you're saying, I would say the motherboard is going. I WOULD have assumed RAM to begin with (especially with the sleep problems you mentioned), but once you said you were getting no picture, that sure seemed like the motherboard to me. I would doubt it was your video card, although it could be (never heard of any situations where that caused the issues you are experiencing though).

When you fire it up, do the fans start running and you just get no picture? Or does nothing start at all?

While an offshoot of all of this, it COULD be a failing/failed power supply. Could you please give us the details of the hardware in the system now?

Thanks for the reply mate.

Here's my full spec :
- Motherboard - Asus Maximus Extreme
- CPU - Intel quad core Q6600
- RAM - 2.5GB DDR3
- 2 HDDs 500GB each
- can't remember the wattage of the power supply

I don't think its the power supply, because the fans work and I get all the fancy lights in the motherboard lightning up. The only thing I don't get is anything being sent to the monitor.

Like wise, could it be the motherboard if I get the graphics card and the CPU fan working?

I've seen PSU's exhibit that problem before. If you can get the model and specs on it, that would be helpful.

At this rate, it's honestly going to be a toss up between numerous components unless you can find alternative components to test your system with.

Have you tried to see if you can POST with the bare minimum of components attached? (Such as just the CPU, 1 stick of RAM, Vid. Card...no HDDs or optical drives)

Hi mate,
Thanks for the reply once again.

I managed to solve the problem, got the motherboard out of the case, cleaned everything and got it working with just the bare bones.
It seems that the reason why there were no speakers was because the cable that connects the speakers to the motherboars was slightly unplugged.
The power switch and the reset connectors were also ever so slightly touching each other which was causing the random restarts.
The video problem was simply a bit of dust in the PCI connector in the motherboard.

Therefore the only logical solution I can come up with is, NEVER EVER EVER LET A WOMAN WITH A STUPID VACCUM CLEANER GET CLOSE TO YOUR COMPUTER. :D

Anyway, thanks a lot for your time!

Hi mate,
Thanks for the reply once again.

I managed to solve the problem, got the motherboard out of the case, cleaned everything and got it working with just the bare bones.
It seems that the reason why there were no speakers was because the cable that connects the speakers to the motherboars was slightly unplugged.
The power switch and the reset connectors were also ever so slightly touching each other which was causing the random restarts.
The video problem was simply a bit of dust in the PCI connector in the motherboard.

Therefore the only logical solution I can come up with is, NEVER EVER EVER LET A WOMAN WITH A STUPID VACCUM CLEANER GET CLOSE TO YOUR COMPUTER. :D

Anyway, thanks a lot for your time!

Ah! You're welcome. Glad you got 'er working (now just work on the other "her" :p). If all else fails, us men typically just take crap apart and try to put it back together. It's always great when we take something broke apart and put it together to find it running just fine. :D

Back
Top Bottom