Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 11-03-2010, 04:37 PM   #1
In Runtime

Default Random restart

Hi, Ive just put in an additional 2gb of ram.

All is the same make, same speed

After about an hour of use my pc randomly restarted, its the first time it has ever happened so im guessing its something to do with the ram. Ive done windows diagnostics test and my memory passed. My psu is a 520w coolermaster, 80+ efficency so i dont think its my psu.

What could have caused this? It hasnt happened again yet, but it hasnt been an hour yet since it last happened?

My cpu temps are also good.

TP-Oreilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 05:07 PM   #2
Fully Optimized

Default Re: Random restart

Windows Diagnostics? From where? I don't trust anything that says "Windows Diagnostics."

Get a copy of MemTestx86 and burn it to CD, boot the system to that disc and let it run for at least 3 passes.

And think about it, the problem started after you installed more RAM. That doesn't take much to figure out what is causing it.

The other thing you should check is to make sure that the memory is set to the right speed and voltage in the BIOS.

Indigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 05:18 PM   #3
In Runtime

I meant to say windows MEMORY diagnostics, what comes with windows 7, if you have windows 7 just type "mem" into the search bar and it will come up, i cant try memtestx86 yet because i dont have any spare discs at the moment
Old 11-03-2010, 06:23 PM   #4
Fully Optimized

did you unseat anything while working in the case?

random shutdowns are usually issues with overheating, or 'critical' components coming unseated
Old 11-03-2010, 09:29 PM   #5
In Runtime

Nope, nothing, it hasnt done it since, so hopefully it was just a one off, touch wood.

I spoke to soon, i just got two restarts.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:20 PM   #6
Fully Optimized

Until you can test with MemTest x86 (which you CAN use with a flash drive too, by the way) then I wouldn't trust the memory at all.

Windows Memory diagnostics, no matter what it's called, isn't MemTest. I don't trust anything but MemTest for memory results.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:25 PM   #7
Fully Optimized

^^ i agree

i dont trust anything with 'Microsoft' stamped on it. We all use third-party security and CPU-Z for a reason? xD
Old 11-04-2010, 05:27 PM   #8
Fully Optimized

Eh well, we use Microsoft Security at work and it does fine, so I'm not QUITE in that same boat, but any "test" that comes with an Operating system, even Linux, I kind of hold at arms' length. lol
Old 11-04-2010, 05:37 PM   #9
Fully Optimized

true say, i forgot Security Essentials, i use kaspersky/avast but MSE works well for putting on customer machines and stuff. If you're really lazy just put your memory back the way it was before you upgraded and see what happens + boot last known good. troubleshooting at its purest.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:45 PM   #10
In Runtime

Im not exactly sure if im on the right website, can someone send me the link, and tell me which download link to click on once on the website, plus, do i just simply boot from the flash drive (memory stick).