Random FPS DROPS HELP.

Kungfucow

Baseband Member
hey guys, need some advice if you've got it. I'm running
Intel P4 3.73ghz extreme LGA 775. (<--- I KNOW! It's OLD :p)
GIGABYTE G41M-ES2L Mobo
4 GB (2x 2GB) of OCZ Gold edition PC-6400
Nvidia Geforce 240 GT (the1 GB DDR3 version, not the faster ddr5)
Maxtor 500gb Hard drive
Antec 1000w Trupower Quattro

Problem:
I play League of Legends on a fairly regular basis. I had my ram die on me quite a while ago and had received 4gb's of refurbished ram. I'm running windows 7 64-bit (I know about the importance of 64-bit thank you =P) after installing the ram, I noticed my FPS drops from around 30 FPS to around 2-3 fps once spells start flying, and chugs around 7-13 fps in still frame. At this point I thought it was the GPU, hence the GT 240. It made my starting FPS go to 60 fps, but still drops. Changing in game graphics settings= no change. Suspected my CPU might be degrading next because the fps drops around higher physics tracking instances, so I ran a burn in test and Passmark's Performance test 7.0 64 bit. I compared the results of my processor to three or for similar models, and found it to have a variant of about 12-15%(some areas faster, and some slower). I'm really confused now, because this system used to be able to run that game at around 30 fps, with half as much ram and a weaker GPU. Also, adobe acrobat won't install on firefox if that might be related. Any feedback is welcome; I'm stumped.

So you had a different GPU before, and changed it? Now your game starts at 60FPS, and still drops? Still drops to what? back down to 2-3fps as it was with the old system, or just drops a few FPS's? (down to like 50, 55?)

Did you try reseating your RAM? Have you checked temperatures?

I wouldnt of thought the adobe issue would be related, but regardless run a scan with Malwarebytes, and maybe a CCCleaner to tidy things up and see if you get any improvements.

I know for sure the ram is seated properly. I know this, because my system was reading 2 gbs before, so I rechecked em. One was slightly popped out, so I popped it back in and it read 4gbs. Also, League of Legends uses Adobe Air to update, so I kinda figured it might have some sort of adobe BS to deal, but your probably right; not likely. FPS drops down to about the same spot, 2-3 fps once spells start flying, and chugs around 7-13 fps in still movement situations. I'll check heat next, and maybe re-reseat the ram again. If anyone still have ideas about this, please post em!

Ok, I've reseated the ram and it's still the same. Tried em each individually, and no difference again. I'm thinking that Windows 7 might have issues running such old equipment, because my sound card (Creative Audigy 2 ZS) has already be detected as being incompatible with windows 7. I'm going to try running a benchmark with known functioning ram (to rule out the defective ram AGAIN >.>") and then.,... dunno....

Oh! I've stumbled across an article of my processor ran brand new in a benchmark software that I have. I ran mine, and it came back with slightly slower results (probably age I guess) in all fields, except in the Field of CPU-SSE. Mine came in at 0.48 whereas the out of the box one from the website was measured at 216.9. Is this why my computer has random drops of FPS in game? Here's the site for the out of the box results: Intel Pentium 4 3.73Ghz Extreme Edition Also, is there anyway I can fix this problem with a driver or a BIOS setting?

Back
Top Bottom