Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 11-18-2008, 10:20 AM   #1
Fully Optimized

Exclamation Random computer Freeze… Help!

Hello everyone,

For the last 2-3 month my computer been experiencing random, but rare computer freezes. Most of the times it happens when I’m in game, games like WoW & CS 1.6. Counter Strike is a 10 year old game that is barely uses any resources and WoW can still be a good resource hug. I do believe the freezes are not game related however because I did experience 1-2 freezes when I was on my desktop vie screen. When the freeze happens, it usually lasts anywhere from 1-10 seconds and then it gets back to normal, but very rarely it will totally freeze, requiring me to restart. During the freeze I will also hear a weird static noise from my headphones… can’t really describe it, but I believe it’s the music/sounds become distorted during the freeze. I also did experience 1-2 BSOD in the last week…

I know it’s not my cooling, because all my temps are in order & my PC is not overclocked. I do use riverturned for a manual vid card fan speed. I did however try to slightly bump up the volts on everything just to see if that might have been the problem, but its not. I did a full virus scan, and weekly scans with spybot, aside from this random weird problem my PC works like a champ! All the specs are in my sig, please help!

Thanks.

- 120GB Crucial C300 SSD & 3X WD640AAKS HDD
- Dell 24" 2408WFP & 2407WFP-HC Monitor
Zer0Cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 10:36 AM   #2
xxcobraxx

Default Re: Random computer Freeze… Help!

sounds like it could be harddrive/sound card/graphics card error.

unplug your sound card and play a game and if it lags then it's not that, then try looking for bad sectors in your harddrive by chkdsk i'm sure you know, also has your motherbored got onbored graphics? try that.

Old 11-18-2008, 10:42 AM   #3
Fully Optimized

Default Re: Random computer Freeze… Help!

Thanks Antdemo,

Well because the freezes are so random and kind of rare, it will be impossible for me to test it by unplugging something... It happens about 1-2 times a week, but its still extremely annoying... Especially when your pc crashes in the middle of something.. Can you please elaborate more on the "chkdsk" hdd error check? and no my mobo don’t have onboard graphics.
- 120GB Crucial C300 SSD & 3X WD640AAKS HDD
- Dell 24" 2408WFP & 2407WFP-HC Monitor
Zer0Cool is offline   Reply With Quote