Ran Windows Update and now all freezes!!!!

karling07

Daemon Poster
I ran windows update on my windows XP computer and about 3/4 of the way through, the entire computer just completely froze where it was. It recognized NOTHING. No mouse movements, keyboard strokes, ctrl+alt+del, or anything. So after waiting for a while to see if it was just going slowly, it still wouldnt move, so i restarted and it booted up like normal but when it completely loaded XP, again I couldnt move anything!

No error messages or BSODs or anything: just the same old PC with no recognition of ANYTHING. And my startup programs didnt start up.

Any ideas on fixing this??

Thanks!

Nothing I can switch in safe mode or anything? Maybe run the setup disc to restore system defaults/repair system?

Alright... *Crossing fingers* :p I was having so much trouble that I decided to just use windows... and now this :D

Did this happen after a fresh install of Windows? Make sure you have a firewall installed.

It is a fresh install... All ive gone thru the internet is windows update... Any ideas on what command to use at the recovery console in the windows cd?

all i see is a console that says C:/Windows

thanks.

Make sure, before you get on the internet after a fresh install of windows, that you have a firewall enabled (windows firewall may be enough but a good free one is ZoneAlarm). There's all sorts of nasty boogers floating about the web that, before installation of Windows Service Pack 2 (this is the first thing you should get when updating), will cause havoc. That's all the advice I can give. Make sure you are running Microsoft's AntiSpyware and get a decent anti virus. (AVG is a good free one).

For your question... When you insert the Windows disc you want to select in the BIOS, boot from CD-ROM. Then select repair windows in the SECOND menu as the one in the first menu does nothing but check the CD. You want it to check your installation of Windows on your hard disk.

TBH. If it was a fresh install, it would be easier to just format the HArd disk and reinstall Windows again but make sure you have a firewall installed before even thinking about going on the net to update Windows. The very first thing you must do after installing Windows is to install your motherboard drivers. This may have caused you problems before. Driver conflicts for example.

Got the computer fixed so it doesnt freeze. It finally just worked after a ton of turn-offs, turn-ons. I immediately went in to add remove/programs and got rid of all nvidia related programs.

I rebooted and everythings back to normal EXCEPT for my video card. I have a 128MB 4000MX geForce card and when it booted back up, it recognized the card but NOT the drivers ( i knew this because the nvidia display manager was not in the little area at the right of the taskbar) ALSO, everything was very graphically slow (scrolling, moving windows, etc).

SO i did exactly what I had done the other times to get the gfx card drivers to work. I put in the CD that came with the card, installed the driver, and restarted.

But still it didnt recognize the card drivers! Whats even weirder is that the driver program is even in the add/remove programs place!

Why isn't it recognizing my gfx card drivers?

Thanks!

No idea but it may be worth uninstalling the drivers and using driver cleaner

If you have onboard video and are using a plug in video card, then make sure the onboard video is off in the BIOS.

Failing that you may have to go back a driver version or two until you find a stable one.

Back
Top Bottom