Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 06-02-2008, 11:52 AM   #1
Beta Member

Exclamation Ran out of Drive Letters

Hello,

I am new to this forum and registered primarily to see if anybody had a solution to a serious problem I have recently run into. My buisiness computer is for my work (I am a computer consultant) and it is very powerful. It has 8 gb of ram (maually remapped for XP PRO SP2), intel core 4 extreme, and 26 hard disks(mostly western digital velociraptors(10000 RPM, 16mb cache) and seagates). I have about 16 tb of imortant information in my computer. So much info you ask, I have 4 tb of disk images that I use for my clients machines, EX- laptop, desktop, tablet. Everything is specific. The problem is, I have run out of drive letters. Whenever I plug in a new disk, nothing happens. I have everything taken up. Can somebody please help me! Thanks much for everbody's time-

Richard

sonicbro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 12:09 PM   #2
In Runtime

Default Re: Ran out of Drive Letters

Holy crap...

I personally would buy a second computer incase something bad happens...I don't know if theres any way to increase the number of drive letters (C1: or different).

DevJargon.com - A place for developers to learn
silent1mezzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 12:52 PM   #3
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicbro11 View Post
Hello,

I am new to this forum and registered primarily to see if anybody had a solution to a serious problem I have recently run into. My buisiness computer is for my work (I am a computer consultant) and it is very powerful. It has 8 gb of ram (maually remapped for XP PRO SP2), intel core 4 extreme, and 26 hard disks(mostly western digital velociraptors(10000 RPM, 16mb cache) and seagates). I have about 16 tb of imortant information in my computer. So much info you ask, I have 4 tb of disk images that I use for my clients machines, EX- laptop, desktop, tablet. Everything is specific. The problem is, I have run out of drive letters. Whenever I plug in a new disk, nothing happens. I have everything taken up. Can somebody please help me! Thanks much for everbody's time-

Richard
I would get that junk out of there and put it onto some kind of proper organised backup system. Who knows what could go boom and fry the whole lot, how do you back that stuff up anyway?

26HDDs? Jeeze, and I thought six in one PC was pushing it. Are they running in any form of RAID?
Old 06-02-2008, 01:15 PM   #4
Fully Optimized

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drive_letter_assignment

Now it does state at the bottom of this article that you cannot have more than 26 mounted drives on a system and if access to more file systems than this is required then you need a Volume Mount Points setup.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volume_Mount_Point

Here's some information on Volume Mount Points that you will need to consider for your set up.

And if you Google "Volume Mount Points" you'll find some more infomation on this.

Old 06-02-2008, 01:17 PM   #5
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via MSN to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via Yahoo to DJ-CHRIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicbro11 View Post
Hello,

Richard
Windows only supports 26 drive letters, however you can assign a drive as a folder (In disk management).

Having this amount of hard drives is a situation for a disaster, moreso if the data isn't backed up.
DJ-CHRIS is offline   Reply With Quote