Rambus Ram

blah blah

In Runtime
what is rambus ram and why is it so much better........or is something better.......whats the best like pc4000, lets say i have an unlimited budget, go nuts, find whatever u can and i'll consider it

rambus ram is a type of memory that intel is very much commited to. amd was supposed to support it, but saw intel and decided not to. of course, a couple of years back, rambus was not very successfull at all. intel really just failed to produce a reliable way to interface SDRAM to the 820 chipset. of course, that was a while back, and now, intel says that gigahertz versions of Rambus RAM will probably follow, so the technology has potential for much higher bandwidths. of course, rambus is very expensive, and presently nothing to gain from it. the prices have been falling slightly since 2001 though. rambus runs at a high speed which also just needs short wire length and but addintional shielding. im guessing that the next generation of memory (ddr2 and ddr3 and so on) will be faster and better, especially with dual channel and all that. let's see what other people have to say.

DDR1 PC3200 Crucial Ballistix, I got some on the way, BEST RAM IN THE WORLD, HAND DOWN, NO ONE CAN ARGUE THAT. BTW, Jac, nice post on RD, could not have done better myself. Can add something though. Rambus bus is circular pathway, so it never has to stop access on the RAM, however, RAMBUS RAM (RDRAM) has very high latency (40ns!!!) compared to DDR SDRAM with around 5ns or less.... So really, RD is about the same speed, and is really expensive. Also, since BUS is circular, with no stops, that means the circuit has to be completed. In otherwords, you cannot have open slots in RDRAM configurations, or else it wont work. You have to have all the same sized chips (pairs) so you could do like (2X256MB) and (2X512MB) chips together, but if you did (2X512MB) you would need chips in the other empty 2 slots. That is where the dummy chips came in, they just sat there and filled the space and completed the circuit, but had no RAM on them at all. RDRAMs next stage is codename "Yellowstone" which will run at around 2.3GHz or so, and will only have 11ns latency, making it fastest RAM in the world. However, for now, buy Crucial Ballistix, and overclock it to 250MHz (500Mhz) and it will still run at 2.5-2-2-2!!! The stuff is miracle ram, Crucial are Geniuses!

yeah. i think we got it there. you satisfied blah blah? or do you need more?

Rambus ram is not faster then DDR, despite common perception. The reason is that Rambus got in trouble with bad advertisement (there was even a lawsuit that followed). Rambus is a classic example of business failure. Besides, DDR-RAM is now being adopted by Intel too.

Right, I got 2GB Crucial Ballistix that comes tomorrow. Order it from newegg.com They have it for $113 for one 512MB stick!!! Cheap for Ballistix!! Gian, RD is physically faster then DDR man, easily! 1200MHz is faster then 400MHz.... or really, 600MHz is faster then 200MHz... It is PHYSICALLY FASTER, but visually, no it is dirt slow RAM since its latency is around 40-60ns!!

Back
Top Bottom