Ram won't fit?????

@OP

this is how it works

SDRAM (hardly ever seen today) - 168 Pins in 3 sections (2 keys)

DDR SDRAM - 184 Pins in 2 sections (1 key)

DDR2/3 SDRAM - 240 Pins in 2 sections (1 key)

Because of the different numbers of pins, only DDR Ram will work in a DDR slot etc.

You need to look up your exact model, find out what type of memory it uses, and it's maximum speed (e.g. DDR2 667) and find memory that conforms to it. Alternatively, you could just buy an upgrade kit specifically designed for that model. In the future, i suggest you find out exactly what your machine takes before getting touchy feely with the buy buttons.

You need to look up your exact model, find out what type of memory it uses, and it's maximum speed (e.g. DDR2 667) and find memory that conforms to it.

This. The one thing Dell excels at is telling you what your computer can support. I suggest going to Dell's service web page, entering your service tag and letting it tell you what kind of memory is in there so you can match it.

Thanks for all the replies. Here is the confusing part though. If you read the specs on the ram I bought here:

1GB PC2-5300 667MHz 240pin ECC FB-DIMM Hynix HYMP512F72BP8N2Y5 / HYMP512F72BP8N3Y5 MB DDR2 RAM - Random Access Memory (RAM) - Product Reviews and Prices - Shopping.com

You'll see it's
DDR2
667MHz
240pin
PC2-5300
ECC

Now if you look at the dell website for my exact model the optiplex gx620 usff here:

Documentation

You'll see the computer takes
DDR2
667MHz
(doesnt mention pin count) other websites say 240pin though
Non-ECC <-----this is the only difference I could find

The DDR2 and pin count matches the ram though so it seems like it should at least fit the slot right? Im still confused...I just dont' won't to order more and get it wrong again.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom