RAM Voltage

luca5371

Baseband Member
I was checking some info on my new build because it hasn't been working real well, I think I fixed the main problem. However, while checking into it I pulled up a program called TPower which came with my mobo. It lists stuff like CPU voltage, RAM voltage, etc... Anyways, below is a screenshot. The part that I was wondering about was that I was checking the various components to see if everything looked ok and noticed that, according to the manufacturer, my RAM has a test voltage of 2.0-2.1 V. However, as you can see in the screenshot below, my mobo only lists the RAM voltage as 1.856 V. Does this mean I'm underpowering my RAM or is the test voltage a maximum recommended or will that voltage change as I push my computer more or what? When I took this screenshot, my computer was relatively inactive.

Being a newbie, I really don't know so any help would be appreciated. Specs for my computer are listed below.

my.php

CPU
VGA
RAM
PSU
HDD
MOBO

Your RAM and CPU voltages are both on the low side, can you post a screenie of the same readings when you're running prime95 as cabbs suggested?

I presume your E8500 is at stock clocks? (3.16GHz)

I'll try that tomorrow night and let you all know the results.

Yeah, I haven't done any overclocking to it.

Ok, ran Prime 95 (64-bit version) for almost 2 hours (1 hour 59 minutes to be exact) and it found no problems. I took 3 screenshots during that time. First one was after about 15 minutes. Second was after about 30 minutes and the third was after I had stopped the testing. They're posted in order below. Another weird thing is that my wife had a blue screen o' death today. I've only had it happen once to me but she has at least twice and both times it was while she was running IE, just checking email and stuff. Any ideas? I'd had problems with a DVD drive for a while but I got those fixed (bad cable is all it was) and now I've got to figure this one out. In Vista, is there any way to check a log of what went wrong today?

Here are the images:
my.php

my.php

my.php

What OS are your running?

Did you download and install the latest drivers right off the bat, or did you update?

And Yes, as Cabbs Said, go into the BIOS and Set the RAM to the specified Voltage.

Have you been able to get the error code from the blue screen???

Another question, what is the VID of your E8500?

It is only getting 1.20V under load but that may be fine if it has a low VID.

VID can be found by running either Core Temp (v0.99.3) or Real Temp

Manually set your memory to the manufacturers specified voltage.

Have you run memtest86+ to rule out faulty memory?

@ Lamb:
Windows Vista 64-bit Home Premium
I downloaded and installed the latest drivers that I could find and I think I got all of the devices (mobo (3-parts but one wouldn't work, video card, dvd-drives).
I have not been able to get the error code. My wife says it flashes by too quickly for her to read (it flashes up then immediately restarts) and I have only seen it once. Does pause/break work on this to hold the screen long enough for her to read or is there a place where Vista records these error codes?

@ True:
According to Core Temp, my VID is 1.100 V.
No, i have not run memtest. I started to look at doing that but I don't have a floppy disk drive. I'll figure it out with a CD and do that.

I have run chkdsk with no errors so I know it's not my hard drive.

Just found out that my wife actually did copy something from the blue screen of death yesterday. It said "attempt to reset display driver from timeout failed." That sounds like a display driver problem to me, right? Downloaded and installed new drivers.

Anyone have any ideas?

I just had another blue screen of death and it said the same thing.

Nice low vid.

To keep the blue screen on screen you need to reconfigure the restart options

I'm on an XP machine at present so can't confirm for Vista until I get home but in XP it is Right click My Computer > Properties > Advanced Tab > Startup & Recovery Tab > Settings > System Failure field > uncheck Automatically Restart.

You said you have the latest Catalyst drivers, does the problem still occur if you use the previous release?

I've never been much of a fan of ATi because they always seem to have driver problems, try different drivers I guess is all I can suggest.

If the problem persists then it may be a faulty card

Back
Top Bottom