Ram and video card sharing

Comp_Pro

In Runtime
Hi, i currently have 4GB of ram and my graphics card is 512mb ram (9800GT)

I have a slight problem, my computer acts as if it has 3.4gb ram and my graphics card has 1904mb of ram. Would anyone help me make it so it is set to default and that it doesn't share between them?

ScreenShot092.jpg

Cheers, Comp_Pro

vista has its way of managing video memory.. you wont see any loss of performance regardless of it using shared ram.

So your saying there is no way to get me my full 4gb ram? If there is, could you please explain it to me?

Thanks Comp_Pro

Yes i do have Vista, but is there a way to set things back to *normal*
That is "normal" for Vista.

Vista does share a large chunk of your system memory for video purposes. However, Vista does not work the same way we are used to with onboard video solutions. Shared memory in Vista does not mean the memory is gone purely to video. In fact, it is hardly ever used for video purposes unless you do a lot of modeling, rendering, or play games at extremely high settings. (or just have a very low end video card) The memory is primarily still used for every day computer useage which is why you do not notice any slowdown on your system, and if you have, it's highly unlikely that it is because your memory is being shared.

Some video cards will borrow ram. Some of the 1 gig are bad about that. But I think in this case it's simply you're running a 32 bit version of vista and by default it can't use all of the 4 gigs. It can see it all, but will only use about 3,25 gigs of it. If you run a 64 bit version it would see the whole amount as usable.

Back
Top Bottom